GoDuBois.com

Corn on the Cob

PSTeach

OUr first year of trying to grow it, and, I have to say- it was DELICIOUS!! I think we planted enough that we should be able to eat it for at least 3 or 4 weeks. We even shared with the neighbors. I am really starting to love this gardening more every year!! I have to admit, we don't fuss over it very much, and still seem to get pretty good results, knock on wood.

I haven't tried Corn on the deck but one of these years I'm going to plant a couple just for an experiment.  Yesterday I did get the first good corn of the year over by the Bowling Alley.  He said they have already harvested 1500 dozen ears.

From what I have read, you need to make sure you have enough planted that it will pollenate. My MIL only planted a small section one year, and it didn't do well.

Quite right. Corn is wind pollinated and if you don't have several rows of it you get ears that are not full. Each corn silk is attached to a kernel and if each one isn't pollinated the kernel doesn't develop. And you thought that corn silk was just something to make your life miserable when you are trying to eat corn! :rofl:

That's why it would be an experiment.  I'll probably have  to do the "Bee" thing with a brush to get it to develop right.

Supposedly you can't transplant Sunflowers with much success but we put four in the Franklin Street bed and they took off and are now flowering.

It's fun to fool plants into performing well.  My harvest of Sweet Long Pickling Peppers is doing great and I'm lining up the Sauerkraut!

Corn is one of the best crops to use in square foot gardening because it's so close together that i tpollinates well.  However, it has to be fed and watered well too.  Another benefit, much less weeding.

My corn looks great. I have been planting Silver Queen for the last four years and it seems to get a little better every year! I use a hill & row method. I plant three plants per hill and the hills are in rows. I make sure to shovle lots of dirt around the base of the plants and tie them  to posts in the rows when possible. A couple of years ago I had a great looing garden with lots of nice corn stalks loaded with developing ears and we had a storm. It knocked down almost all of my plants. They weren't only knocked down but they were twisted at the base which killed the plants.  

Another benefit of the Square Foot Gardening idea.  The plants help support each other and you can run a soaker hose through it easily.

A ten by ten section, one plant per foot, one hundred plants in that area, at least 2-3 ears per stalk, 200-300 ears.  Very little weeding, easy feeding (10-10-10) easier to protect from varmints.

I bought 6 dozen ears yesterday afternoon for $22.50.  In between swimming, errands and everything else, I had it all husked, blanched and cut off the cobs by Midnight.  There was a LOT of corn there too!  I save a big bag for Thanksgiving.  It's one of our traditions to use as many food items as possible that we harvested, canned or prepared from scratch.

Guest snellma

Our friends brought me down a bushel from central PA but it was quite tough and a little on the older side.  I was quite disappointed because she said how good it was.  I would love to get my hands on some bread and butter corn.  Haven't had that since leaving PA 25 years ago.

Snellma, there are a lot of new varieties that have a gene for super sweetness. They also hold longer before the sugar turns to starch. I started with something called Candy Corn many years ago and lately we've been planting Bodacious. If you are going to haul corn around these new varieties are the kind to buy.