GoDuBois.com

OK, I GIVE UP

Having come from a home where NOTHING grew, I moved to EDEN a few years back where EVERYTHING grew.

So, my dormant seed growers soul decided it was time to try the ultimate in gardening challenges: to grow things from seeds.

I planted all varieties of sun flowers (there are a LOT OF THEM!), zinnias, cleome, moonflower,allysum (sp),: you name it, I planted it.

EVERYTHING CAME UP AND WAS THRIVING: A MIRACLE WAS OCCURRING IN MY YARD.

THEN, the Japanese beetles arrived, eating everything down to the skeletons: the rose of sharon was doing well but was also very badly eaten. I got some Sevin, hubby mixed it and I sprayed it:

everything is NOW DEAD!

It's like living in gardening hell again..... alas, my yard looks like the blight hit it.

Now, I'd like to hear a collective "ahhhhhh" and everyone feel sorry for me now... :'(

Buy a couple of traps and give them to neighbors who do not garden to lure them away from your own garden.  

If you happened to spray on a day when the sun came out, that may have fried some of the plants.  Otherwise, hand pick.........ick!

Use the Sevin as a powder. Put of plastic gloves and fling it about. Don't get down wind of it and wear a face mask or try to hold your breath.  I do it at the end of my working day and shower when I am done. The liquid is a pain.

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I do know how you feel. Bugs and wildlife are the curse of the gardener. And weather, and lack of rain or too much, and late frosts and early frosts. Nope, isn't Eden.

Ahhh Gypsy, I'm feeling for you. I hate those darn things! They've been at my peas and sugar snaps something awful! I just noticed last night that they're starting on my green and wax beans!!! Dirty, rotten, ugly, crunchy things!!! :(

I was looking for something in my files and found this. I don't know where it came from, who or which Pat it is, nor if it works. If anyone tries it let us all know if it works.

Here is a recipe for getting rid of Japanese beetles that I have used for several years. It works, I don't know how but it does :)

Ingredients:

1 Banana

1 Pkg Yeast

1 empty gallon jug

1 Quart water

Mash the Banana and Yeast together.

Cut a good sized hole in the side of the jug (leave the handle for hanging)

Put the mixture in the jug, add the water and stir.

Now hang this in your trees or sit it out of sight in your beds or behind bushes.

The beetles leave.

Also it will not harm your pets or kids or draw more Beetles!

Pat

We tried something different this year. We bought a liquid that you mix according to the diameter of the tree and pour around the base of the tree. So far, so good.

I'm want to try the recipe Lavender posted for my herb garden. (I wonder what my dog will think of the concoxion.)

We tried something different this year. We bought a liquid that you mix according to the diameter of the tree and pour around the base of the tree. So far, so good.

I'm want to try the recipe Lavender posted for my herb garden. (I wonder what my dog will think of the concoxion.)

I'll bet you have some kind of systemic insecticide that is absorbed by the tree. It would make the whole tree poisonous to beetles and probably not too healthy for humans  That's ok with ornamentals but unless they have come up with something organic that repels beetles I'd be really cautious about using it on fruit trees.

I'd try that banana stuff too but we don't have many beetles this year. I can't figure out if they are attracted to it and crawl in and die or it repels them.