GoDuBois.com

The true curse of the gardener........

lavender

isn't bugs, critters or weather it is the bad back. I just crawled in from the heating pad. I was digging holes yesterday for a bunch of new plants that followed me home and there it went. I've got squash and raspberries to pick, weeds to pull and plants to put in and I can't straighten up. I'll sit here and write the newsletter but I can't sit long either.

Does every gardener ruin his back eventually or is it just the ones I know?

I can play in the garden all day long...I just ice down at night, have a drink and the next day I'm raring to go again....

I feel bad for your back pain. As almost all the nerves and muscles run through the back, if you have a bad back, it's HORRIBLE!

Never tried ice. Maybe that would work better.

Most pain from action of some kind, is an inflamation in the muscles and joints. Heat will feel good for a while but won't help solve the problem.

I find that icing my joints and back after a hot shower, makes me feel almost new.

I ruined my knees years ago falling and bashing them three times, and then not dealing with it.  Now I'm going to pay the Piper in a few weeks at the knee doctor.  If there's an underlying problem, then get it fixed.

Otherwise, a good soak in a hot tub followed by a soak in cold water will help strained muscles relax.  I do this three times a week, evenings, at the Y, and other than being tired from swimming for an hour, everything seems to feel and work much better.

There's no dealing with the knees anymore......arghhh!  Now I do container gardening on my deck and hire the yard work done.  I point and he digs! :-)