GoDuBois.com

I'm getting ready...

steelnut

...to plant some more perrennials! Hubby has finished the bed on the other side of the back of our house.

I'm am sooo getting into the perrenials. I don't have clue as to what I'm doing, but I love it!

My friend that got me the plants last year has given me more this year.

10 Stella's  

1 Black Eyed Susan

1 Space Coast Day Lily

1 Fox Glove

1 Moonbeam Coreopsis

1 Lady Bells

1 Helen Mardi Gras

1 Stokes Aster

1 Cherry Bells Campanula

1 Bama Maid Lily

1 Burnt Orange Lily

1 Pink Montana

1 Rose Queen Silvia

1 Geum Cooky

1 Dwarf Mexican Hats

1 Carpenter Shavings Lily

There is one that she didn't have a name on, I took a picture and if I can figure out how to post it I will.

Anyway, after looking them up, it seems like a lot of them get very tall. And my biggest concern is that I read that the Foxglove and the Helen Mardi Gras are poisonous. Also, that the Foxglove only lasts for two seasons, so I'm thinking that I may not even want to plant it.

Any suggestions? I don't really want real tall plants at the back of the house, so I may put them in one of the other beds that we made.

I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions, thanks!

Foxglove is a Biennial so it grows leaves and roots one year then produces flowers and seeds the next year.  Then it dies.  It reseeds itself, so if you plant a flowering plant two years in a row and they successfully reseed, you'll have flowers for years to come.  

You have a list of great plants there! Helenium, Helen's Flower or Sneezeweed is a beautiful plant. Mardi Gras is a particularly nice cultivar as it is both orange and yellow. I had one until the ground hogs ate it to death. Leads me to wonder just how poisonous it actually is. (Nothing has ever touched my Digitalis.)  There is a variety of Sneezeweed that grows wild around here. Many of the plants are poisonous but we simply aren't aware of it. Unless you have very small children around I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Not all that many of the plants you have listed are "tall".

Stella d'oros are only about two feet. They are a relatively short daylily but no day lily is really tall. The flowering stems get tall but the plants themselves are  midsized. Moon Beam coreopsis is one of the tickseed variety and they only get about 2 feet. Companulas or lady bells or bell flowers are rather short plants, about a foot. The flower stems again rise above the plant but they don't hide what is behind them.

Lilies vary in height and I'm not sure if you are talking about regular lilies, daylilies or Asiatic lilies. I've got an Asiatic lily that is 5 feet tall and one that is only a foot. I suspect you have daylilies so think about 3 feet.

Pinks or dianthus are short about 8 inches. Stokes aster is a great plant and not much over a foot. It is a true blue. Geum and Salvia aren't tall and I wouldn't think a dwarf Mexican hat would be very tall either.

The black-eyed Susans spread like crazy. So do most companulas. Moonbeam coreopsis can be temperamental and likes good drainage. All are sun plants although daylilies will take a bit of shade.

Rose Campion is a very pretty flower. The dark rose against the fuzzy silver leaves is very effective. It also reseeds itself. I have one growing between the bricks and it is in bloom right now. Just didn't have the heart to dig it out.

You want Stella d'oros see us at the Farmer's Market on the 12th. I'll put the word out and will divide mine as soon as they quit blooming. They might not look like much dividing them at this time of the year but they will grow.

Lol, I just back from Lowes and bought more...2 Spirea, 2 Arizona Sun Blanket Flowers, 4 Iris and 2 more Stella's. I'll still stop at the Farmers Market though for Stella's, I can't get enough of them.

When we bought our house the only plants here were some Iris around the telephone pole by the road. That was over 24 years ago and this year we only got 5 flowers, so I figured that it's time to replace them.

Question...Hydrangea...I looked at some at Lowes and thought about trying them, too. The clearance price was still a little high, I thought at 16.00? They didn't look real healthy either, so I passed. Does that sound like a good price though? I have to google them to see how high maintenance they are.

I think it is high but then we were getting them for a couple of dollars last summer (and not buying them).

There are different types of hydrangeas but the most common kind that you see in the stores all bloom on old wood (large leafed). That means the tops have to make it through the winter without freezing. Around here that often doesn't happen. I know for a fact that Nikko Blue freezes every single year. When I have the time I pin it down and pile pine needles over it. I haven't done it in a couple of years because it is a pain and you have to wait for it to go dormant which seems to be coming later every year and then in the spring you have to dig it out before it leafs out but after the last spring frost. Often it is getting shoots and leaves under the mulch. It is beautiful but did I mention it is a pain.  

I suppose there are cultivars out there that are more reliable bloomers around here but I don't know what they are. You can always google but it is best to ask someone who has one that blooms. Beg a piece!

The small leafed hydrangea bloom on new wood so they are good for around here. They are mostly the white ones you see. I don't know if they come in other colors or not.

I think it is high but then we were getting them for a couple of dollars last summer (and not buying them).

There are different types of hydrangeas but the most common kind that you see in the stores all bloom on old wood (large leafed). That means the tops have to make it through the winter without freezing. Around here that often doesn't happen. I know for a fact that Nikko Blue freezes every single year. When I have the time I pin it down and pile pine needles over it. I haven't done it in a couple of years because it is a pain and you have to wait for it to go dormant which seems to be coming later every year and then in the spring you have to dig it out before it leafs out but after the last spring frost. Often it is getting shoots and leaves under the mulch. It is beautiful but did I mention it is a pain.  

I suppose there are cultivars out there that are more reliable bloomers around here but I don't know what they are. You can always google but it is best to ask someone who has one that blooms. Beg a piece!

The small leafed hydrangea bloom on new wood so they are good for around here. They are mostly the white ones you see. I don't know if they come in other colors or not.

Thanks lavender, I'm glad that I passed on the hydrangea. Until I retire, I just don't have the time for any really high maintenance plants. So I have a few years.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got more!!!

2 raspberry Bee Balm

1 pink Fox Glove

2 Strawberry Candy lilys

2 Bali Hai(?) lilys

2 pink Super Spider lilys

2 Dwarf Persimmon lilys

2 Two to Tango lilys

another Yum Yum Plum lily

I gotta lay off the lilys... ;D