GoDuBois.com

What is this flower?

debhar

Bon has got it. They have a long tap root and the bigger ones can't be moved very well. I've transplanted the the smaller ones from old strip mines. They seem to thrive in poor soil but need full sun.

In the fall they will get a pod with seeds like milkweed. You can try planting them but don't look for them to germinate quickly. It can take a full year. It is kind of plant it and forget it.

They come up very late in the spring but if you find a small one then you can probably transplant it. They come up as a straight grey-green shoot with the leaves folded up. Once they are established they last forever.

If you like the look of the plant and the fact that it attracts butterflies but find that it is too finicky for your yard try this one.

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week019.shtml

It is tropical butterfly weed. It is a perennial but is grown as an annual in the north because it is not winter hardy. I had a friend who grew it from seed one year. She says it germinates easily (the native one can be very erratic) and the coloring is even more beautiful than the native one. The outer petals are a true scarlet.

I tried a tropical variety a few years ago and it was beautiful.  Right now I have a White Butterfly Weed blooming - it's in it's second year.  It's not as striking as the orange variety and it doesn't seem to attract butterflies like the orange does.  

It is fun - but I still like the orange the best.  Maybe because I transplanted it from the wild.  Have you ever started any from seed?  Any success?  I'd like to give it a try but I don't have a greenhouse.  

butterfly_weed_with_sulphur_2685.jpg

Thank You! I have many areas that can use a filler...type of plant, and I really like this one, The color..it's growing in my old pasture and yes in direct sun....I'm gonna try and transplant some now then seeds in the fall.

I believe I tried it once and the seeds did not germinate. They need to be chilled, I think, before they will germinate. The best way would probably be to put them in pots and sink the pots in the ground in the fall. As I said they are erratic in the amount of time they can take to germinate. It can be a couple of years.

The woman who tends the butterfly bed at Parker Dam has been trying to get them to grow there for 3 or 4 years. I know she hasn't had any luck. They grow where they grow. I've had good luck transplanting them and they are a tough plant.

Gotta run! Off to Lucinda to buy more plants.