GoDuBois.com

Cactus pic

Bon

Mine all have buds too. I'm waiting to see what is what. Some should have a red center.

They are terrible though! The spines are very fine and hard to get out. They will stay in your skin forever and hurt every time you brush them.

It stays out year round. In the fall, when the nights stay cool it will deflate, then in the spring when it starts getting warmer, it will start puffing up. It is out in the open, full sun. We do not mulch it over for the winter. We just planted a bunch of these on our driveway bank because nothing will grow there. We have had this cactus for about 8 years.

They are prickly pear and get the little red fruit. They are also extremely hardy around here. I had cuttings overwinter in small pots outside at one side of the greenhouse last winter. They were fine this spring and didn't even undergo what Bon calls "deflating".

I've got some started in pots. They are small but actively growing. Digging them is dangerous ( ruined rose gloves a few years ago collecting them from a donor) but it is possible to snap off the leaves to get them started.

They don't sell very well.