GoDuBois.com

Shoulda pruned!

That is a Miss Kim lilac on the left. Supposedly a miniature lilac. The fragrance is unbelievable. The Rhododendron on the right is at least 20 years old. Both are overgrown but I haven't the heart to cut them back.

lilac_8283.jpg

We have a huge rhododendron in the front of our house that we cut back.  It was almost touching the house.  We didn't want to do it but it needed done.  We just cut pieces of it at ground level and it work for us.  Never touched the front of it.  Now I have lilacs to do.

I did a huge mock orange this spring. I cut out just some of the branches to open it up a bit and make it shorter. I think I'll tackle the lilac after it is done blooming. How are you going to do yours? I hate to ruin the shape of it. Maybe just take some off the top?

We have 3 different lilac trees.  The one we cut back to about 4 ft and it grew really fast.  It needs cut back again.  The other ones are not as big and I think I am just going to cut maybe a foot or 2 off of them.  We have little shoots coming up everywhere around the 2 smaller ones.  I am trying to let them grow if hubby would quit running them over with the lawn mower.

We have 3 different lilac trees.  The one we cut back to about 4 ft and it grew really fast.  It needs cut back again.  The other ones are not as big and I think I am just going to cut maybe a foot or 2 off of them.  We have little shoots coming up everywhere around the 2 smaller ones.  I am trying to let them grow if hubby would quit running them over with the lawn mower.

I'm going to go for a foot or two, I think. I can always do more next year but I can't put it back if I hate it. Over pruning is ugly.

You can dig up those little suckers and make a whole new bush. I have to crawl around under Miss Kim and see if there are any.