GoDuBois.com

Flower fever

Bon

I bought 11 canna's yesterday....can't wait to see what they look like when they bloom!!! Yellow King Humbert, Wyoming, and a bag of mixed. Debateing weather to plant them in with the red ones I bought last year or put them in another container.

I also bought a bag of strawberries, another toad lily and a bag of african daisys. I planted kolorabi, beans, corioupsis, a cardinal vine and left over daisys from last year 2 days ago. I can't wait to see green stuff growing and different colored flowers everywhere!!!  I've got the fever.... ;D

Do I recognize Wal-marts stock? They have a nice selection this year.

I used to plant kohlrabi. It's so weird! My daughter wanted to pick one to show the kids at school and came walking across the yard with a rutabaga almost as big as she was. I had to laugh.

If you are the one who keeps trying to get that toad lily to grow, good luck with it this year. Mine are one of the last things out of the ground.

The one from Lowes is already coming up. I put it in a container last year, then put all my pots in the basement for the winter. But the one I planted 2 years ago never grew...I think it gets too wet in the area I planted it.

That's what happens to a lot of perennials around here. They rot out in the winter rather than freeze. Our soil doesn't drain very well. They will get through a few winters and you think you are home free and then you get a wet one and it is all over. I have a bank that was build up over shale and stuff grows there that won't grow on the flat. I put it down to better drainage.

Guest snellma

Kind of off the subject, but not really. . .  I have 2 huge built in flower boxes along the front of my house.  I usually plant impatients in them each year because they are so colorful and really bush out.  I would like to put something different in them this year.  I thought about marigolds or zenias.  Any ideas???

post-614-13623823404883_thumb.jpg

The New 'Wave' petunias are spectacular or if they don't get too much sun there are some fantastic coleus out there. I had one last year called 'Jungle Love' That was really exotic. Will post picture of a pot with some coleus in it when I get a minute.

Guest snellma

This spot takes all the morning sun.  I want something with a lot of color because the house is so light.

Here are some pots I planted last summer. Let's see if I can get these pictures downsized without blurring. The first is one of my favorites. It is asparagus fern and yellow and orange coleus. It is planted under a tree on the lot at the corner of Long Ave. and Brady Street. This was shortly after I planted it but it got huge before the summer was out.

It's mate was in my yard planted with darker coleus and was under some white pines. I don't know what order the pictures will go in but you can see the differences in color.

asp_5123.jpg

colmy_8353.jpg

It's the plant in the middle of the petunias. Comes from a non-hardy bulb. I don't have a picture of it in flower but here is a link. http://www.dutchgardens.com/Pineapple%20Lily/25441,default,pd.html

I always put it in that big iron kettle for the summer although one year I had some in the ground and they made it through one winter. Froze out the next. It is hardy where snellma is.

I took pics of the pots last year just to keep in mind what grew well. The coleus were spectacular. So were the pansies. The smaller pots didn't do as well; not enough rain and I couldn't keep them watered. I can't claim the pot at the library. That was someone else's idea and a very good one.

I've got a picture of a pot of silver 'Wave' petunias somewhere. They took over an entire very large pot the summer before last. I'll see if I can find it.  

Guest snellma

I hate geraniums so those are out.  I haven't been real big on petunias in the past but there are some really nice looking ones these days.  I don't want coleus because those are just plants - I want something with a flower.  I loved those pineapple things!!!  I was looking at some dianthus at Lowe's the other day and thought those might be an option.  I guess I will decided when the time comes to plant.  Calling for one more freeze tonight so I will hold off on buying anything.

The nice thing about the new petunias is that the 'Wave' series and those related to it don't get slimy when it rains nor do they have to be dead-headed.

Me, I'm a pushover for the colored leaf plants. I guess that is why I like the coleus. so much. I carried some over the winter.  I don't know if I'll be able to find the really bright ones this year and I did love those pots. Plug for Lyon's Greenhouse that had the most beautiful coleus last year for those who do like them.

Dianthus are a great plant and some of them make it through the winter. Mine seem to do best in full sun but we live in a valley surrounded by trees.  

Lowe's was the only place that I saw 'Kong' last year. Lyon's is seasonal. I'm lousy with directions but I'll try. You turn right, off of Rt. 119 heading toward Falls Creek, on DuBois Street. It is a few blocks on the right. You have to turn off and drive back in and it is hard to see if he hasn't put out a sign. It is a large plastic greenhouse structure. I think that is 119 and I'm sure about DuBois Street because if you go left you get to Kohlepps.

If you head to Fairman's Farm Market, on Juniata Street, it is down in the bottom of the dip on the right,  There's nothing really notable by the road, so watch for a little dirt road and the gate.  The gate is closed if he isn't there, but he's in and out.  There may also be a phone number by the gate to call him.

He does those huge amazing planting pots for businesses too.

Guest snellma

Ok, I bit the bullet today and bought petunias.  I was in Wal-Mart and they had a nice big shipment so I went ahead and got them.  I will see how they do and then decide if I liked them enough or not.  I am thinking next year I may try zenias since they have lots of color.  I ended up getting purple, pink, white, and red.  Planted 24 on each side.  Hopefully they will spead out and fill in.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Off the beaten path a bit here is veggie fever.  I thought I would take a few pictures of my garden for you all to let you know there is hope and spring is on its way.  The first one is of my beets, onions, peas, green beans, and yellow beans.  The second one is of my whole garden.  The third is my tomatoes.  Last but not least is my beautiful tomato blossom.  I can just taste them now.  I also called my strawberry farm and they have already started picking.  There is a 50% chance of rain Sat. but if I can go early enough I may just try to get one bucket for right now.

post-614-13623823406721_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823406836_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823406946_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823407049_thumb.jpg