GoDuBois.com

Flower fever

Bon

Guest snellma

Yes, we have a chocolate lab who uses the garden all winter as his potty so the fence just keeps him out.  I wish I could keep the squirrels out with it.

Guest snellma

Here are a few pictures I took in our neighborhood just to give you hope.  The first is of an ornamental cherry.  It is much pinker in real life than in the picture.  The other pictures are of a bottle brush plant.  I absolutely love them.  They look just like a brush you would scrub out a baby bottle with.

post-614-13623823407157_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823407241_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823407324_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823407407_thumb.jpg

I planted 21 containers of Petunia's, Impatien's and Pansy's today. Also 10 cacti so we can plant them on our bank by our driveway. Also found a bunch of bulbs I bought but forgot about, so they got planted in my huge oval planter.

Hubby cut back and burnt our tall grasses yesterday. I also cut the remains of my peony from last year...didn't do it in the fall :-/ trimmed the dead stuff off of my rose bush today. Looks like we both had a busy day!!! We also took a ride to our property and sprayed the fruit trees for insects. I have a feeling my hands are not going tp feel very well tomorrow...my back already aches....I LOVE SPRING!!!!!!!! ;D

I was at Lowe's today and ran into a fellow gardener. We started talking about the tall grasses and he said not to cut or burn them back the way I always do. He suggested leaving about 3 feet of the bottom uncut. He says this keeps the clump from splitting when the seed heads mature. It gives them some support and doesn't show when the new growth fills in. I'd try it but mine have already been cut. It is true though that the clumps split. We divided about 10 clumps last year because they would split and fall over the path.

I cannot tell a lie. I bought one of the yellow carpet roses. They grow so well and I don't think I ever saw a yellow one.

• 1 month later...

I have a blue/purple bottle brush plant that is hardy here in DuBois. It's in a protected spot and is covered with dandelions right now but long about July it will bud and then bloom in August.

Pictures! Sounds gorgeous.

Guest snellma

I never saw a blue/purple bottle brush plant.  I would love to see pictures.  I posted new pictures of my veggie garden in the squash seed thread if anyone wants to see how it has grown.