GoDuBois.com

Moving bulbs

tipcat

I have some hyacinths planted around my hostas.  I forgot how big hostas get and now I need to move the hyacinths.  Can I do it after they bloom?  I need to do the same with my tulips.  Thanks.

The proper method is to mark them and move them after the leaves have died back. Bulbs should always be moved when they are dormant. That said many people do move them while they are still green just because you can find them then. Since the flower bud is formed in the previous growing season they may not bloom the next year if you do this.

I don't know what stage your hyacinths are in but If I were going to move a clump of them on a semi-emergency basis I'd do it now when, If they are like mine, they have just emerged from the ground and are the next best thing to being dormant.

They are beautiful flowers and nothing seems to eat the bulbs or plant, a big bonus around here. They go dormant fairly soon after blooming so maybe you could wait and serrate them when you move them. That way you won't have to do it some other year. I wouldn't separate if the flower stem is up.

I bought some new bulbs in 06 and they started to come up and wham!! All gone! I think the deer chewed them right to the ground. We put up a net fence and they did come back up.  The net fence was put up last fall and my hyacinths are coming up very strong.

If you're really willing to spend some time in order to see your bulbs grow, and deer are the problem, you can make a wire cage to keep over them till they bloom.  It kind of defeats the purpose of beautifying the garden but it's an idea! :-)