GoDuBois.com

Oh, how I miss....

steelnut

I'm getting tons of catalog's. We can always dream.

I finally asked today at one of the garden centers about all the wildly colored poinsettias. Last year there were spotted ones, curled ones and all different shades of pink, white and red. This year they have branched out into blues and purples. "Self", I said, "This is ridiculous. I know genetic engineering has done remarkable things but BLUE poinsettias?".  So I asked and was told that they are "sprayed". They look very real.

I'm getting tons of catalog's. We can always dream.

I finally asked today at one of the garden centers about all the wildly colored poinsettias. Last year there were spotted ones, curled ones and all different shades of pink, white and red. This year they have branched out into blues and purples. "Self", I said, "This is ridiculous. I know genetic engineering has done remarkable things but BLUE poinsettias?".  So I asked and was told that they are "sprayed". They look very real.

I'm a red poinsettia person, a traditionalist, I guess! I still like traditional Christmas trees. I've seen some really different ones and they are pretty, like done in all maroon and blue, but it's not for me.

Lol, everytime I see wood painted, I cringe!!! To each his own I guess, but, painting wood, beautiful wood????

And I can't wait to start in on the plant catalogs...it's something to look forward to after the holidays when things really seem to slooooooow down.

For some reason I always think of the trees that are beautifully done in the non-traditional colors as something a decorator would do or someone with no interest in sentimentality. My ornaments don't match but they all have a story.

We do a Lenox tree as well (I collect Lenox) and my husband keeps telling me to quit putting up the traditional tree just do the Lenox one. Like that is going to happen!

I might just get one of the odd colored poinsettias as I have a room that red looks really bad in. I was disappointed to find that they were dyed. I don't like plants that are messed with.

I'm looking for seeds for different kinds of catmint this spring in the catalogs. I have a friend who says the newer varieties are not as rambunctious as the older ones and that it is a great bloomer. Going to give some of them a try. Walker's Low sounds good.  

For some reason I always think of the trees that are beautifully done in the non-traditional colors as something a decorator would do or someone with no interest in sentimentality. My ornaments don't match but they all have a story.

We do a Lenox tree as well (I collect Lenox) and my husband keeps telling me to quit putting up the traditional tree just do the Lenox one. Like that is going to happen!

I might just get one of the odd colored poinsettias as I have a room that red looks really bad in. I was disappointed to find that they were dyed. I don't like plants that are messed with.

I'm looking for seeds for different kinds of catmint this spring in the catalogs. I have a friend who says the newer varieties are not as rambunctious as the older ones and that it is a great bloomer. Going to give some of them a try. Walker's Low sounds good.  

lol, ya see, red is my favorite color, that's one of the reasons that I love the red poinsettias!  Hubby get so mad because it's like every room in the house, I just have to have something in red.

I don't even know what catmint is, is it an herb???

The red poinsettias just don't make it in the room that is sage green and lavender. Men are big on painting everything white. Don't know why.

Catmint is a near relative of catnip but it gets a pretty blue flower. It is a medicinal herb. I did an article on it for our newsletter. It is here http://www.downtoearthgardenclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=29   Excuse the formatting. It was one of my early efforts and I haven't had a chance to fix it. Maybe I'll go do it right now while I'm thinking about it.

I love the burgandy poinsettia's!!!!  I like the double ones even better, but are hard to find. I really dislike the painted ones. Why someone thinks the purple, blue and yellow ones are pretty with the glitter on them just blows my mind. They do not say Christmas.  ;)

Guest snellma

Feb. is right around the corner and that is when I will need to start tilling my garden and getting my early veggies in.  Missed having a garden last year so am really ready this year.

Feb. is right around the corner and that is when I will need to start tilling my garden and getting my early veggies in.  Missed having a garden last year so am really ready this year.

Nope, they say decorators gone wild.

Snellma, I'll start leeks in February and maybe some flowering annuals. You should have seen my leeks this year. They were as big around as a medium sized onion. Still haven't dug them all. Must do it before the ground freezes.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, they say decorators gone wild.

Snellma, I'll start leeks in February and maybe some flowering annuals. You should have seen my leeks this year. They were as big around as a medium sized onion. Still haven't dug them all. Must do it before the ground freezes.

This was the first year that I tried leeks in the garden and they did great. We love wild leeks, so I wasn't too sure about trying the tame ones. I'll be planting them again next year.

I can't wait 'til spring. To me, after the holidays is just the longest time of year.  

The tame ones don't compare to the wild ones do they? I don't even want the wild ones in the house they smell so bad.

I'd rather dig holes and pull weeds than prepare for the holidays. I'm beat!

The seed catalogs are coming in. I found some new coral bells (Huecheras). Villosa hybrids.  Pistache is lime green/chartreuse yellow, Beaujolais goes from burgundy/silver in the spring rose pink in summer and Tiramisu goes from gold/yellow in spring to burnt orange to chartreuse/silver. In the fall it is purple with a line green edge. (Gotta have Tiramisu)

Picked up a bunch of these last year they are great plants for semi-shade and are said to do well in the sun too. Even last years drought couldn't kill them and I didn't water much.

The tame ones don't compare to the wild ones do they? I don't even want the wild ones in the house they smell so bad.

I'd rather dig holes and pull weeds than prepare for the holidays. I'm beat!

The seed catalogs are coming in. I found some new coral bells (Huecheras). Villosa hybrids.  Pistache is lime green/chartreuse yellow, Beaujolais goes from burgundy/silver in the spring rose pink in summer and Tiramisu goes from gold/yellow in spring to burnt orange to chartreuse/silver. In the fall it is purple with a line green edge. (Gotta have Tiramisu)

Picked up a bunch of these last year they are great plants for semi-shade and are said to do well in the sun too. Even last years drought couldn't kill them and I didn't water much.

Oooh, I'll have to look those up, they sound perfect for the front of our house, thanks!