GoDuBois.com

Mushroom dirt/compost...

steelnut

Does anyone have any experrience with this. We have been working on our landscaping and we're going to get some of it this week. Hubby plans to mix it with the top soil that he hauled in last weekend. I'm going to plant some bulbs this weekend along with all the lilys that I have. Sound like a good idea or not?

I know people who have used the mushroom compost and are quite happy with it. It is mainly used for texturing the soil like any compost. The nutritive content isn't high.

You can put bulbs in until the ground freezes but now would be a good time. I hear it is going to get cold and rainy next week.

When we planted the trees at the Medicine Shoppe we used a mixture of top soil and mushroom compost to fill the holes.  We had to have everything that was dug out hauled away because it was rocks, clay, bricks and construction backfill like we have found in about every hole we've dug in DuBois.

You'll find that your soil will stay pretty nice to dig in, but you still should do a soil test in the spring.

We got the mushroom compost and mixed it in with the top soil, so, I'll be playing in the dirt this weekend! Yeah, there's not too much that I love more than playing in the dirt, I've never outgrown my childhood days. I'm going to draw an outline of the planting bed and then try and figure out which plants to plant where.

A big thank you to Lavender for the advice on the lilly's and other plants that I have. I went and bought some crocus, tulips and gladioli to add some color and some plant height differential. Here's hoping for a beautiful planting bed next year, wish me luck!  

We got the mushroom compost and mixed it in with the top soil, so, I'll be playing in the dirt this weekend! Yeah, there's not too much that I love more than playing in the dirt, I've never outgrown my childhood days. I'm going to draw an outline of the planting bed and then try and figure out which plants to plant where.

A big thank you to Lavender for the advice on the lilly's and other plants that I have. I went and bought some crocus, tulips and gladioli to add some color and some plant height differential. Here's hoping for a beautiful planting bed next year, wish me luck!  

Gladioli are NOT HARDY! DO NOT PUT THEM IN UNTIL SPRING AND THEY MUST BE PULLED IN THE FALL!

Glads supposedly aren't hardy around here but I've had them come back year after year if they are dug in deep enough and have good drainage. Then one year they disappeared. I actually had some forgotten pineapple lilies come back one year and they are tropical. You just never know.

There is one variety of Glad that is considered to be a hardy gladolia but it will be specifically labeled as such.  

Just toss them into a plastic container of peat for the winter, put the container in a cool dry place and plant them in the spring.