GoDuBois.com

Herbs

steelnut

I love fresh herbs! They make such a difference in recipes. Each year I plant parsley, oregano, chives, basil, dill and thyme in my veggie garden. Then, unfortunately, they always went to seed and got pulled out so hubby could till the garden before winter.  

One of our landscaping plans that we're are working so hard on, is to make an herb garden, seperate from the veggie garden. Anyway, I went on-line to check out which herbs were perennial, I knew that dill, oregano and thyme were. Some sites show parsley as being perennial and others show it as being annual? Has anyone ever had it come back?

Parsley is really easy to start on a sunny window sill in February.  By late May when you can put it out, it's already big enough to harbest a few leaves from for a recipe.  Parsley that is kept protected a little bit can also grow right into November.

Chives, ugh...I can't get rid of them!  They are definitely little reseeding devils!

Dill will come back in this area if you have a really sunny garden and make sure you leave plenty to reseed itself.  If you harvest it all, there are no seeds to scatter for next spring.

The BUDS will have a nice selection of herb at the spring sales at the Medicine Shoppe, so keep an eye out arounf the end of May and the month of June.