GoDuBois.com

New Question

steelnut

Okay, I bought a bunch of different lillies from a lady in the 100 mile yard sale. They're all in pots. The plan was to get them planted in our new landscaping. Problem is, the work is going slow and we'll never get the landscaping finished this year. I know I should have waited to buy, but I just couldn't help myself. The question is, will the plants be ok over the winter if I just leave them in the pots? Maybe put them in my garden shed or the garage?

Thanks!  :)

I would put them in your garage or basement. I really don't think they will make it if you leave them in the pots. I lost some lily's this year, because I left them in pots over the winter outside. Anything I have in pots, I put them in the basement, water well , then leave them alone. I have tropical rose of sharons that turned a light yellow, but as soon as I could get them outside The Plants Doubled in size. I also bring in my angels trumpet.

We overwinter perennials by heeling them in for the winter. We take the pots and bury them in late fall. They continue to grow until the first frost and then die back naturally. In the spring we dig them up after they sprout. Almost all of the plants in the garden club's first sale in May have been overwintered this way. If a plant is hardy we get close to 100% survival.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, we definitely aren't going to get the rest of our landscaping done this year, so I'll plant pots and all in the garden for the winter. The first batch of day lillies (6) that I planted in a huge planter are unreal. Do they multiply like that? If so, next spring do I take them apart or plant in a huge bunch? I'm so new to lilies, but I love them.  

Daylilies multiply like crazy and if you plant an 8-10 inch pot of them they will have to be divided in two to three years. If you have 6 clumped together I would separate them. They will continue to bloom even if crowded usually but will bloom much better if they aren't.

Daylilies multiply like crazy and if you plant an 8-10 inch pot of them they will have to be divided in two to three years. If you have 6 clumped together I would separate them. They will continue to bloom even if crowded usually but will bloom much better if they aren't.

Thanks, Lavender!