GoDuBois.com

does anyone know....

Bennyboy1

what the root of wild ginseng looks like? I've been hunting it and found some that I THINK is the root but some guy told me today (though pictures sent to him) that he believes it to be sarsaparilla root, to which I found out doesn't really grow here (?) PM me and I will send you a pic of the root I have only if you know what it looks like. I know someone here has to be a 'senger and would know if I'm on the right path. Thanks!

I don't have a pic of the plant but this one I found online looks EXACTLY like it as the leaves were yellow already....the guy in the pic is stating it's ginseng though, and I did some more research and found that other plant sarsaparilla root does not grow here, I think the guy who told me what I have is bs.......can I pm you a picture or 3 of what I have?

ginseng.jpg

Actually, you might want to check aralia nudacalis, which is the wild or false sasparilla that grows in our area. I have some ginseng that I transplanted years ago and yes, it is yellow at this time of year. There is still ginseng around here although it is scarce. While I won't take the responsibility for you chowing down on stray roots be aware that sasparilla is bitter and tastes something like root beer.  That is what it used to be made of. Ginseng has a more earthy taste like a bad carrot. 

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=aralia+nudicaulis

You are welcome to send a sample of the leaves to the Extension in Brookville for a positive identification.  It's free.  Bright the entire plant.  If you want, the root can be returned to you.

You can also drop it off but call first to make sure the office is open.  They have moved to the third floor and may not be open all day for the next week or so.

180 Main Street
Parker P Blood Block
Brookville, PA 15825-1234

849-7361

Note that Ginseng has three large leaves and two very much small leaves.  Also, the fruiting body is connected at the same place as the leaves.  With Wild Sarsaparilla the fruiting body is lower on the stem and the leaves are closer to the same size.

Actually, you might want to check aralia nudacalis, which is the wild or false sasparilla that grows in our area. I have some ginseng that I transplanted years ago and yes, it is yellow at this time of year. There is still ginseng around here although it is scarce. While I won't take the responsibility for you chowing down on stray roots be aware that sasparilla is bitter and tastes something like root beer.  That is what it used to be made of. Ginseng has a more earthy taste like a bad carrot. 

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=aralia+nudicaulis

plants looked nothing like what is on this website, but thanks

some did, you could see where some of the berries had fallen/been eaten off.....I think I'm going to make time in the next few weeks to take a plant to PSU and have it checked, not like if it is, the price is going down....it goes up as the season ends :) Thanks everyone!

They will definitely be in the office all day today.  It's on Main Street, on the right if you are headed toward Clarion, in the same building as the Magistrate and Office of the Aging, third floor.  Parker P. Blood Building is written on the front of the building about one floor up.  Go in the front door, ask the receptionist to direct you to the elevator, third floor.  Go left out of the elevator and clear to the front of the building.  It's still pretty messy because they are just finishing unpacking from moving.  They are expecting you and will send a sample to the Main Campus Plant Lab if necessary.  No cost.  Service with a smile!  Tell Don Hello, he's the District boss.

some did, you could see where some of the berries had fallen/been eaten off.....I think I'm going to make time in the next few weeks to take a plant to PSU and have it checked, not like if it is, the price is going down....it goes up as the season ends :) Thanks everyone!

The deer eat it. I know a couple of old folks who could probably identify it for you for certain. Most of the folks who used to collect it for fun and profit are dead but there are still a couple left. I'm going to go out and see what I have growing. Haven't checked it in awhile. It was just a for fun thing.