GoDuBois.com

Appetizer & Snack Recipes

Pompeii

• Administrators

You can add your appetizer recipes here. Just click on new reply to this thread.

from Bon:

Homemade Potato Chips

3 medium russet potatoes

Oil baking spray

Sea salt or Baked Potato Chip seasoning, to taste

1. Slice the potatoes into very, very thin rounds using a porcelain slicer or mandoline (always use the guard!). I use the 1.3mm setting. Place the slices in a large bowl. Cover with cold water, swish and then drain.

2. Place the slices in a single layer on a towel, and then roll it up to lightly dry them. Keep the slices rolled up in the towel as you cook off batches to keep them from oxidizing and turning brown.

3. To microwave your chips, spray the potato slices with an oil baking spray and place in a single layer on a microwave safe plate (sprayed with a bit more baking spray). Cook on full power for 1 to 2 minutes. You'll likely need to do this in many small batches. Be careful when you remove the plate because it will be very hot.

4. To fry the chips, heat a pot of safflower or canola oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), and fry the dried potato slices in small batches. Be careful not to over fill the pot, or your chips will stick together and have soggy spots. Fry for just a minute or two, flipping once, until they are a light golden brown and the oil bubbling calms. If there is still frantic bubbling going on, there is still moisture in the chips, and they will be soggy. Remove the chips with a slotted spoon, and place on a wire rack to drain.

5. http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/homemade-potato-chips-microwave-214700758.html

Toss your crisp chips into a large bowl and sprinkle with salt or your seasoning, swirling and

• Administrators

Stuffed mushrooms

1 lg pkg. of fresh mushoroms

1 pkg. crabmeat

old bay

beef boulion

1 pkg. finely shredded mozz. cheese

Wash mushrooms, pull stems off, put them to the side.

In a flat casserole dish, line with mushrooms

Cut stems into pieces

Cut crabmeat into pieces

Stuff the mushrooms with the crabmeat

Sprinkle on top cut up stems

Put on top leftover crabmeat

Take 2 beef  boulion disolved in water, add to dish

Sprinkle with Old Bay

Cover with foil

Place in oven at 450 for 30 minutes, then  cover with shredded cheese on top, leave in till cheese is melted!!

• 7 months later...

[face=Geneva]Fried Zucchini or Squash[/face]

Very very simple.

Ingedients:

1/4 cup flour

1/3 or 1/2 cup 4C seasoned bread crumbs

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp parmesan cheese

1) egg

1/2+ cup milk

1-2 Zucchinis or squash (depending on size)

Slice up the zucchini or squash into 1/8in thick slices. Mix flour, bread crumbs, garlic powder, parmesan cheese in a bowl. In a seperate bowl mix egg and milk. Add oil to a frying pan about 1/2 inch deep. Dip the zucchini or squash in egg/milk mix, then put in the dry mix bowl and coat evenly. Put it in the oil and fry till golden brown. You can also use a deep fryer.

Dipping sauces an be but not limited to pizza sauce, bar-b-que sauce, ketchup. Best served before meal.

[face=Verdana]Onion Blossom[/face]

Ingredients:

1 large Vidalia Onion

3 cups cold water

2 large eggs

1/2 cup beer or club soda

1/2 cup milk

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cayene pepper (optional)

Preheat oil in large sauce pan to 375 degrees, or heat oil in a deep fryer. Peel onion and cut off the bottom leaving a flat surface. Cut into 3/4in wedges, but don't cut all the way through.  Soak onion in ice cold water until wedges open, about 20 minutes: drain and pat dry. Mix eggs, beer or club soda, and milk in a bowl. Mix flour and baking powder in a seperate bowl.  Dip onion in egg mixture, then into the flour mixture. Dip again in to egg mix, then flour mix, making sure the onion is well coated.  Place the onion in hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown and tender, about 15 minutes. drain on paper towles. Place on a serving plate and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper (optional).

Dippin sauces can be but not limited to pizza sauce, bar-b-que sauce, onion blossom sauce.

• 1 month later...

Pimento Cheese Ball  Great for the Holidays!

4 packs of Philly Cream Cheese Softened

Pimento Cheese (found in jars or in the deli in 1/2 lb containers)

If by the jar 4 jars

If by the container (1) 1/2 lb. container

4 tbsp dried chopped onion

1 jar of green chilis

1 lb bag of crushed nuts (I use almonds) I put them in a large freezer bag and roll]

with a rolling pin to crush them

Let the cream cheese soften and add pimento cheese, dried onion, and green chilis.  You can use a mixer but I use my hands to mix and form into a ball.

Roll ball in crushed nuts and place on serving tray.  Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving with your choice of crackers.

Spiced Pretzels

I made these last night...very easy, but yummy!!

1 bag of the sourdough pretzels, broken into small pieces

In large bowl mix 3/4 cup oil with 1 pkg of Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.  (use more of each is you like things really hot...we have kids so we use these amounts)

Dump the pretzels in and swish around to get them all coated.  Leave sit for 15-30 minutes to soak it in good.  Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 300*.  At least once while baking, swish them around.  Cool and eat....(okay..they are even better warm.)

• 2 weeks later...

How about

HOT WING CHICKEN SPREAD

3-4 boneless/skinless chicken breast, cooked

shred this in blender, food processer or however (I like to use my Pampered Chef chopper)

3-4 stalks celery  also run through food processor or chop very small

Mix these two together, add in 1 8 oz bottle of blue cheese,  8 oz cream cheese and a small bottle of Franks Red Hot.

Put this all in a cassarole dish sprayed with cooking spray, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.  

This is sooooooo goood spread on crackers!!  tastes just like wings.  Great for a holiday "bring a dish" party...once you start eating it, you can't stop!!!

• 3 months later...

Ham Puffs....

I made these for my hubby's birthday party...and everyone wanted me to post the recipe...

You need the mini muffin pans...... spray with pam and set aside.....

2 CANS OF CRESENT ROLLS...

1 LB OF SWISS CHEESE...SHREDDED

1 1/2 LBS. OF CHIPPED CHOPPED HAM....USE A CHOPPER AND CHOP IT REALLY FINE

2 EGSS

3 TABLESPOONS OF MUSTARD

MIX THE FINELY CHOPPED HAM, SHREDDED SWISS CHEESE, EGGS AND MUSTARD IN A BOWL....SET ASIDE.

TAKE THE CRESENT ROLLS, OPEN THEM UP...DON'T TEAR THEM APART LIKE YOUR MAKING CRESENT...LEAVE THEM IN THE

SQUARE (LIKE TWO CRESENT TOGETHER)..  CUT THE SQUARE INTO 6 EQUAL PARTS... PUT THE 1 PIECE OF CRESENT ROLL IN EACH OF THE LITTLE MUFFIN PANS.. PRESS LIGHTLY TO FORM A LITTLE TART.... FILL THE LITTLE TART UP WITH THE MIXTURE OF HAM AND CHEESE...

BAKE FOR 15 MINUTES AT 375 DEGREES....

THESE ARE AWESOME....MY HUBBY BEGS ME TO MAKE THEM...

I HOPE I DID THIS RECIPE JUSTICE...ANY QUESTIONS JUST PM ME...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Ranch Cheez-its

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 pkt. dry original ranch

1 box of White cheddar Cheez-its

3 tsp. dill weed

3 tsp. lemon pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Mix together incredients and poor into ziploc bag to mix with cheez-its.

Guest snellma

MIXED NUTS - Mary Ann Snell

Preheat oven to 275o

You can use raw, salted, or unsalted nuts.

For every 3 cups of nuts:

Beat until stiff:

1 egg white

1 Tbsp. orange juice

Mix the following and add to the egg white mixture a little at a time while still beating:

2/3 c. sugar          

Guest snellma

Hot Pepper Rings

Mary Ann Snell

Recipe for pint sized jars.  Reduce oil with smaller jars.

Slice peppers into rings.

Pack into jars.

Add

Guest snellma

Dilled Beans

Mary Ann Snell

Trim and pack fresh beans into jars.

In each jar place:

Guest snellma

Egg Rolls

Mary Ann Snell

2 lb. finely chopped pork, beef, and/or shrimp

4 grated carrots

3 c. chopped cabbage

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 onion, chopped

2 pkg. bean thread (cellophane noodles)(Personally I don

• 1 year later...
Guest snellma

Hot chicken wing dip

1 8 ounce brick of cream cheese softened in microwave

1 can chicken, drained

1 C. ranch dressing

1 C. grated sharp cheese

1/3 C. hot sauce

After you soften the cream cheese, add the canned chicken, ranch dressing, 1/2 C. grated sharp cheese, and hot sauce.  Mix together well and then put the other 1/2 C. grated sharp cheese on the top and put into the microwave for another 2 to 4 minutes until cheese on top is melted.

You can lessen or put more hot sauce in depending on your taste.

Serve warm with nachos or crackers.  This is delicious!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hot chicken wing dip

1 8 ounce brick of cream cheese softened in microwave

1 can chicken, drained

1 C. ranch dressing

1 C. grated sharp cheese

1/3 C. hot sauce

After you soften the cream cheese, add the canned chicken, ranch dressing, 1/2 C. grated sharp cheese, and hot sauce.  Mix together well and then put the other 1/2 C. grated sharp cheese on the top and put into the microwave for another 2 to 4 minutes until cheese on top is melted.

You can lessen or put more hot sauce in depending on your taste.

Serve warm with nachos or crackers.  This is delicious!!!!!

I LUV THIS, I HAV HAD IT SEVERAL TIMEZ... :)

• 1 month later...
Guest snellma

Jalapeno Roll-ups

Round tortillis

Mix together

4oz. cream cheese

2 Tbl. sour cream

chopped jalapeno's

salt/pepper

spread some of this on each roud tortilla

roll up and cut into round slices abouts 1" wide

dip in salsa if desired

I make something like his only mine has shredded jalapeno cheese or hot pepper cheese and black olives.

I make something like his only mine has shredded jalapeno cheese or hot pepper cheese and black olives.

i had them, very good.. i like mine wit salsa...

• 8 months later...

Fried Macaroni and cheese

Macaroni and cheese baked, cut and deep fried. Is there anything else I need to say?

Ingredients

* 8 oz.Asiago Cheese

* 8 oz. Romano cheese

* 16 oz Provolone cheese shredded

* 32 oz Mozzarella cheese shredded

* 24 box of Macaroni Pasta

* 6 Eggs

* 1.5 cups of Milk

* 1 Salt to taste

* 1 White Pepper to taste

* 1 cup of flour

* 1 cup of bread crumbs or panko

* 1 Oil for frying

Instructions

Prepare the macaroni noodles according to manufacturer.

Drain.

Return to low to medium heat. Add milk, 4 eggs, and 4-8 oz of any of the cheeses. Stir until melted. DO NOT ADD ALL THE CHEESE AT ONCE increases chances that it will burn.. After each 4-8 ounce portion of cheese is melted, and the next 4-8 ounces.

Once all the cheese had been added, bake in a non stick pan for 35 to 45 minutes at 350. Remove from oven, and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to allow complete cooling.

After it has cooled remove it and cut into squares.

Crack the two remaining eggs.

Dip the Macaroni squares in the flour and then in the eggs, and then in the bread crumbs. Repeat until all have been coated. Heat Oil to 375F. I Used a deep fryer, but a large pot with enough oil to completely submerge the squares is acceptable.

Fry for about 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown

Hot Hot Habanero Wings

2 pounds chicken wings

1 (18 ounce) bottle honey teriyaki barbecue sauce

1/4 cup fresh honey

2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke

1 1/2 to 2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated

6 cloves garlic, crushed

8 habanero chile peppers, chopped*

4 chile peppers, your choice, chopped

3 tablespoons fresh horseradish

1 (18 count) package chicken wings

Cut wings into thirds, and discard the tips. There should be about 36 pieces.

In a medium saucepan combine barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, Liquid Smoke seasoning, ginger, garlic, habanero peppers, chile peppers and horseradish. Stir all together, and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.

Put chicken wings in a large glass

bowl, and cover with 3/4 of the sauce. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

Heat grill for low heat.

Lightly oil grate. Remove chicken from marinade, and place on grill. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.

* WARNING: Wear gloves, and do not let the oil get anywhere near your eyes.

World's Hottest Wings

Caution! The fumes from preparing this will make it difficult to breathe! Don't attempt to eat with an ulcer.

2 pounds chicken wings, cut up Buffalo style

6 whole serrano chile peppers

6 whole red chile peppers

10 whole jalape o peppers

2 cups white wine

1 bottle Tabasco Sauce

1/2 bottle Worcestershire sauce

10 tablespoons cayenne pepper

10 tablespoons red-hot sauce

1 tablespoon salt

3 tablespoons pepper

1/2 cup vinegar

1 fire extinguisher (optional....)

In a blender, carefully puree the peppers, wine, vinegar and all spices. Caution, the fumes are deadly and wear rubber gloves or your fingers will burn! Put the puree into a bowl and marinate the wings in the bowl in the fridge for 5 days.

After 5 days, carefully remove the wings and broil them until cooked. About 15 to 20 minutes. Take the marinade, put it on the stove, add 1/4 cup sugar and heat to a boil. Reduce until thick. Pour over wings and re-broil for about 5 more minutes, serve with soda water for maximum heat effect, but keep plenty of ice water handy.