GoDuBois.com

Easy at home soil test

Pappy

That's a good way to find out whether it's acidic or alkaline but it doesn't tell you HOW acidic or alkaline, nor does it tell you HOW MUCH to correct it in order to allow the minerals in your soil to become more available to your plants. Correct it too much and the next soil test could have gone to the exact opposite.  You might need a drop or a bucket of material but how would you know.

It's a good generalized test but there are no specifics.  It would be fun to try anyway.

A Penn State Soil Test for $9 gives you all kinds of information that is geared to the specific type of plants that you are trying to grow. 

I thought it was interesting and might be fun to try also Petee that and I am sure most people will not send in a soil sample for some reason or another. Thats why I posted it not that they will remeber this but I will repost it in the spring. It will at least get them a little info and they can add whatever they feel they need and hopefully it will help them out. 

I have sent soil samples in and it fhas been good. I have never added anything to my soil except mushroom compost every year but this is expensive for large gardens but I mostly plant just because I enjoy it and probably spend more on it than I get back but if I am going to spend money better on something I enjoy rather than on booze and gambling not that there is anything wrong in either of those in moderation. The compost seems to work well as I usually have a good garden.

I would encourage people to use the resources of Penn State especially if they are having problems with their plants that may be diseased. You can send in your plants to them also and they will help you identify the problem. I believe this is free a free service and they will give you the envelopes to send it in. I believe so Petee would know for sure.

Speaking of planting here is something I plan on trying this year also.  Space is alwasy limited and thought I would try this and hopefull I get my raised garden planters done here in a few weeks. I plan on making two 4x8  raised garden structures about three feet off the ground. I just have to add the legs and paint the wood with non voc environmentally safe paint not that it will be touching the soil or the plants but just in case to help preserve the wood. I will post pics of them when they are done.

10376856_410949959042744_222563856295439

Very clever! I've tried growing potatoes in a barrel without much success. it was awhile ago and I can't remember what the problem was. My greatest success was with some stray potatoes that got tossed in a perennial bed. Go figure! 

Just remembered that you can also make a  litmus solution by boiling red cabbage in water. Let it cool and add a couple of teaspoons of soil. It turns pink for acid, blue/green for base. 

Gardening should be fun first of all and I think all kinds of experiments would be worth doing just for what it teaches you about soil.

Master Gardeners will be having one Master Gardener Day a month starting in March so ideas like this would be fun to show.

Go to Facebook   Penn State Jefferson County PA Master Gardeners.  I haven't had time to add much but the basics are there.  We have finally grown to a size that we can start having the events that people like the most.

I just finished a Power Point on Community Gardening that will eventually be shown at a Spring Meeting for the Community Garden at Church of Our Savior on Liberty Boulevard. 

If anyone needs a program then let us know.  I think we now have 5 completed programs to present and it's free.