GoDuBois.com

Garden questions...

My son has decided he would like a garden this year. So my question is this - Is it too late to start seeds indoors? I was seeing on some charts that in the next few weeks you would be moving them outdoors, so we'd be pretty late with that step. I am hoping to plant organic or heirlooms. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Also does anyone have any seed companies they have used successfully in the past for heirlooms or organics. Thanks!

It depends on which seeds he wants to start.  Some, like tomatoes and peppers should have already been in the ground.  Some go in in January.

If you tell me what he wants to grow then I can give him dates to plant (and possibly seedlings).

The BUDS Raises around 2000 seedlings every year.  Many of them go to community gardens or CREATE in Brookville this year.

You can still start squash, cucumbers and things like that. You can also plant those seeds outdoors at the end of May. You might start tomatoes now and get them big enough to put out by the first or second week of June. They grow fast when the soil is warm and I've seen people around here put gardens in all through June and still get produce. It is probably too late for peppers and eggplant that take a long time to grow and cauliflower, cabbage etc. that have to go out early.  

It is probably too late to order seeds. You can find organic seeds around here if that is what you want. 

Heirlooms are sometimes disappointing if they are not adapted to the area. It will take a bit of time to see what can be grown. You didn't mention the age of your son but if he is young he might find that things like beans and lettuce more rewarding than trying to grow things that are a bit trickier. 

I never think that this has to be said but a surprising number of people don't know it. You can't just grow seeds indoors without using the proper technique. You need sterile soil or medium to prevent disease that will kill your seedlings. You need lots of light or they will get tall and weak. 

This chart looks about right for our area:

http://veggieharvest.com/calendars/zone-5.html

I would be doing the work for my son, he will just be helping.  My father was an avid square foot gardener, so I have some experience but it has been quite a while...  I didn't realize my son would be interested but he's a good age to start (8).  We are thinking of planting: green beans, snow peas, peas, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, and perhaps zucchini and pumpkins (I never have done pumpkins but he loves them).  I am hoping I can start some of these right from seed?  I will probably be buying the tomatoes from a pretty well established plant at this point.  Where does BUDS sell their plants at?  Do you know the dates yet?  Thanks!

You can get them now by special order, and they are free for a donation.  We do not charge a specific amount for them.  Just e-mail me a list at cshenkle@Verizon.net

I will collect what you want and deliver it to the BUDS Planting Beds near the Donation Box.

Snow Peas and peas...find a location with some partial shade and plant them now.  They could have been in the ground for a while already but if we get hot days then they will stop producing.  They need a 45 -60 degree soil temperature.  A soil thermometer would be a great teaching tool.

Tomatoe plants don't go in till after the last frost.  They like warm soil.  Otherwise they are started indoors as seeds from the end of March till this past week.  It depends on how soon they produce finished fruit.  We have something like 30 varieties so you have a big choice.  Green Beans also do not tolerate frost.  Garlic should ideally be planted in the fall but you could easily put in some right now.  Just use organic and you're home free.  The cloves won't be as big as fall planted.

Square Foot Gardening in a raised bed is an excellent choice.  The BUDS library has a couple of books on it to loan and you can also go online to find lots of information. You can really grow the soil and soil bacteria, which in turn grows the plants.  Crop rotation is easier and you can interplant and do second and third crops, plus winter gardening if you have a hoop house.  Master Gardeners will be bending hoops for them in a couple of weeks for a donation.  A small composter will probably produce all of the compost you would need.  Add a compost tea station and a sprayer for it, and you won't have as many bad insects or diseases.

Zucchini or pumpkin can be started after the last frost and when the soil temp is about 70 degrees.  The seeds love warmth to germinate.

Carrots can be planted several times a year.  Potatoes need a clean bed and compost tea to grow well and to help prevent blight.

Master Gardeners will also be doing a Silent Auction for a composter which will end in July at the Jefferson County Fair.  It's a $100 value or more.  There will also be monthly classes at which you can learn about any of these gardening ideas.  Call the Jefferson County Master Gardeners to receive free info or answers to questions.

The BUDS Gardeners Plant Sale for a Donation will start on Wednesday, May 27 and will go till the plants are gone or we're tired of sitting there.  We're not at the Medicine Shoppe any more, but up the road about half a block at the 5 way stop sign.  Look to the left and we will be in the parking lot near the creek of Charlie's Alternators.  Our planting beds are there too and there will soon be a mural and more items of interest. 

Enjoy the flowering crab trees and the spring bulbs for the next few weeks.  They were our first project over ten years ago to clean up a blighted area when our budget was $60!  They are still beautiful.

The BUDS will also be doing a Monarch program all summer from May till September.  We will be searching out native laid eggs, raising them to adulthood, displaying them so people can stop in at Charlie's and watch them hatch and be released, and anyone can be involved.  Just let me know if you have questions or suggestions.

cshenkle@Verizon.net    BUDS Gardeners or Master Gardeners

Master Gardener Office in Brookville    849-7361 

I would be doing the work for my son, he will just be helping.  My father was an avid square foot gardener, so I have some experience but it has been quite a while...  I didn't realize my son would be interested but he's a good age to start (8).  We are thinking of planting: green beans, snow peas, peas, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, and perhaps zucchini and pumpkins (I never have done pumpkins but he loves them).  I am hoping I can start some of these right from seed?  I will probably be buying the tomatoes from a pretty well established plant at this point.  Where does BUDS sell their plants at?  Do you know the dates yet?  Thanks!

Sounds like an excellent choice and all but the tomatoes can go right into the soil as seed. Actually, the garlic can be planted in the fall. You haven't made it so complicated that he will lose interest, which is often the problem. Plant the peas somewhere that you can trellis them as they produce better that way. You might try the mini pumpkins as the big ones are so dependent on a long warm summer.  Not to say you can't grow them here. I've had pumpkins so big it took two men to lift them. They are fun too! Check your pms. I've sent you something.