GoDuBois.com

Dividing a Peace Lily

Bon

We got a huge peace lily from my mother in laws funeral. Its beautiful & has many of the white spathes on it.

My hubby wants me to divide it. I'm debating on doing it in halves or forths. Should I wait till all the spathes die off or can I do it now? Is it better to wait till spring/summer or not?

The plant is about 3 1/2' tall x 4 1/4' wide.

Peace Lilies like to be a little root bound.  I know because I've killed a couple trying to separate them into individual plants.  You might want to separate the root ball into two pieces and replant both into containers the size of the original pot.  Don't damage any more roots than is absolutely necessary.  Most live comfortably in the same pot for many years.

Leave it a little on the dry side till you see new growth.  Medium light, only fertilize in the spring and late summer, no direct sun.  It will grow slower in the winter with a few less flowers but speed up in the spring which is the best time to divide them..

Thanks! I had one by my bedroom window last winter - early summer, only sun was late morning - early afternoon. I rotated it once a week & only watered when it was dry. I had all kinds of spathes this past spring/summer.

I'm thinking they both will be able to use the same window, but LC won't. I will work it out somehow.

Gotta please the cat, dog, & hubby!!!!

Don't let it get too root bound. I killed one off by doing so. I got it the same place you did and wasn't keen on being reminded of death every time I looked at it. It bloomed quite nicely but I had no desire to encourage it. I'd wait until spring to repot anything especially if I was dividing it. Plants tend to go somewhat dormant in the winter and aren't as likely to recover from root damage as they are in the spring.

Snip out the anthers. Those are the yellow pollen bearing structures inside the spathe. I always take them out of Easter lilies not because we are allergic but because the pollen makes a mess of the white petals. The odor of lilies and carnations always make me think of funerals. I can deal with that but a plant that reminds me of a special death is not something I want around.