GoDuBois.com

What is this?

katie77

How about balloon plant milkweed (Asclepia physocarpa)? Also know as "family jewels tree". 

https://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/a/asclepias_physocarpa.htm

It wasn't in my Newcomb as it isn't native. It is beautiful. I'd love some of the seeds.

That looks like a match!! I don't even remember planting it. I am pretty sure it was something I picked up at the BUDS plant sale this year, because this is the first year I've seen it. I want to research it so I can find out how to harvest seeds because numerous people have asked. I am assuming those "family jewels" are seed pods and will eventually dry out and I should collect them before they fall to the ground?? 

Try smoking it?

Haha, funny you should ask that. When it first started growing, before the flowers appeared, I had no idea what it was. My older boys joked and said mom why are you growing a pot plant in front of the house. I curiously googled marijuana plants and thought Oh My!! I can just imagine what my neighbors are thinking. I was so glad when the flowers appeared! 

That looks like a match!! I don't even remember planting it. I am pretty sure it was something I picked up at the BUDS plant sale this year, because this is the first year I've seen it. I want to research it so I can find out how to harvest seeds because numerous people have asked. I am assuming those "family jewels" are seed pods and will eventually dry out and I should collect them before they fall to the ground?? 

They should dry just like a milkweed pod and open with fluffy seeds. Get them then. The plant probably won't make it through the winter around here as it is only hardy to zone 7 but it might if the winter doesn't get too cold. You can germinate them indoors or it self sows. It is slow to germinate according to my list and it is suggested that you soak the seeds if you start it indoors.

They should dry just like a milkweed pod and open with fluffy seeds. Get them then. The plant probably won't make it through the winter around here as it is only hardy to zone 7 but it might if the winter doesn't get too cold. You can germinate them indoors or it self sows. It is slow to germinate according to my list and it is suggested that you soak the seeds if you start it indoors.

I found some youtube videos. I am so excited!! I don't know why I didn't post here sooner. If you want some of the pods, I will let you know when they are ready.