GoDuBois.com

Starting a lilac cutting?

The easiest way to do this is put some rooting hormone on the end and put it in the ground. Cover it with a jar and wait. Watering in dry weather helps. It is much easier to get a lilac by digging up a sucker. Some of the newer varieties don't sucker much but it is a good way to get an older variety. 

The easiest way to do this is put some rooting hormone on the end and put it in the ground. Cover it with a jar and wait. Watering in dry weather helps. It is much easier to get a lilac by digging up a sucker. Some of the newer varieties don't sucker much but it is a good way to get an older variety. 

Until I looked on-line, I had never heard of rooting hormone, is it available locally? TY so much for the advice! 

Yes, the most common brand is Rootone and I know Lowe's has it. That is where I got mine. The jar is one of the oldest and simplest methods. I tried a coldframe last fall and so far haven't had much luck with it. Don't use too much of the rooting hormone. I did and was told that too much inhibits root growth. 

I've never tried to start a Lilac, but have tried azealias (sp) with the rooting hormone and didn't have any luck. I wish I had a big old lilac bush, I have a small little thing that doesn't seem to be doing much.

The best time to take most cuttings is early June with sharp sterile clippers.  Have a dishpan of damp sand, 4-5 inches deep, ready with 3 inch deep holes poked with a pencil.  Make sure there are holes in the tray for drainage.  Clip off about 4-5 inches of a leafy branch tip.  Strip off all but two small leaves pulling up the stem, not down.  Use your fingernail and scrape off  about half an inch of the bark on both sides where it was cut.  Dip into the rooting hormone (usually Rootone) and tap off any excess.  A liquid rooting hormone works better but try to find it around here!  Set down into the hole immediately.  Place tray in a shady damp area.  Water lightly to settle the sand around the cuttings and wait till fall.  If the sand appears to be drying out then water it lightly. Anything that has new leaves has rooted.  Set it into a protected area for the winter and protect it from hungry bunnies who would love a free lunch.  Maybe in a bucket with the bottom cut out.

Now, a better way is to dig around the lilac to find new growth that has a few roots.  Those will brow much better with less hassle.

I just ripped a big lilac out of our yard about 2 weeks ago. Them along with rose of Sharon & quince grow like crazy in our yard.

I don't think I would have one of the old rose of Sharons in my yard. Those things are awful for reseeding. We pulled one out at the city building because the seedlings got out of control. I've got a newer cultivar that is not only has double flowers but it is sterile. Much easier to live with. One of these days I'll put in a quince. I love the colors of the flowers. Right now I have a Carolina allspice in bloom. I usually has a really nice odor but for some reason I can't smell it this year. It's starting to sucker too but I hope it isn't going to be too invasive. If it gets too wild it will be showing up at the plant sale. Lucky buyers! The thing cost an arm and a leg. 

I've never tried to start a Lilac, but have tried azealias (sp) with the rooting hormone and didn't have any luck. I wish I had a big old lilac bush, I have a small little thing that doesn't seem to be doing much.

Gilb... I had a small little thing It looked awful... so I cut it off ...  and now 4 years later that thing is huge and must have had 100 flowers on it this year.. first year it has had more than about 10 since I cut it off. 

When you plant anything just cut a huge circle around it and mulch the circle.  No more weedwhacking or destroyed plants.

Hubby and son are out planting apple trees for me and I had to walk them through the first tree.  Huge circle of grass removed and a bowl shaped hole dug, then a mound of soil in the middle.  Flop the tree down on the mound so the roots spread out and bury shallow.  THat's a lot different from how we used toplant them.

Gilb... I had a small little thing It looked awful... so I cut it off ...  and now 4 years later that thing is huge and must have had 100 flowers on it this year.. first year it has had more than about 10 since I cut it off. 

We trim our two lilacs down each year, they're the light purple and they do great. I want a cutting from a dark purple one, so beautiful!