Guest madre

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Chief Flying Hawk on the Hollywood Screen

Chief Flying Hawk of the Sioux, Du Bois's most famous Native American, was depicted in the 1955 movie "Chief Crazy Horse."   Flying Hawk was a frequent visitor to The Wigwam for several decades.  

flying_hawk_on_the_screen_9316.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Children of Felix Flying Hawk in Du Bois in June 22, 1908.

Grandchildren of the Oglala Sioux Chief Flying Hawk  

Photograph by M.I. McCreight at "The Buffalo Bill Wild West Show" in the City of Du Bois.

Thanks to "The M.I. McCreight Collection" and Chet Baranowki.

children_of_felix_flying_hawk_3405.jpg

Me too. Does anyone live there? Like a lot of this towns historic buildings they are either in disrepair or already gone, because no one ever did anything to preserve them. Its probably way too late for the wigwam.

It's never too late if the building is still standing. The problem is that people in charge in DuBois have never taken much of an interest in historic preservation. Many of the historic buildings, especially the homes, have been turned into rentals and allowed to deteriorate. If you look at the history of many of the old homes of DuBois, you'll find some really fascinating people lived here.

Many years ago, we had a gentlemen that worked in the DuBois area that tried to get people excited about preserving what we have but he just couldn't get those in charge excited. If you look at a town like Brookville, you'll see very few rentals in the prominent neighborhoods but that's what DuBois has become. Hopefully, it's not too late to turn it around. I'm still waiting to see if the Elm Street Program is actually going to take off.

First question, "What is the Elm Street Program"?

Second, as the weather turns nicer, take a walk around Long Ave. and Scribner going up towards Highland Street, in the evening just as dusk is setting in.  Even those houses that have been turned into rentals, will show their original forms very nicely.  DuBois had some very nice homes and some really skilled builders decades ago.  It is not too late, but the sun is setting quickly on saving many of these homes from irreparable damage.

First question, "What is the Elm Street Program"?

Second, as the weather turns nicer, take a walk around Long Ave. and Scribner going up towards Highland Street, in the evening just as dusk is setting in.  Even those houses that have been turned into rentals, will show their original forms very nicely.  DuBois had some very nice homes and some really skilled builders decades ago.  It is not too late, but the sun is setting quickly on saving many of these homes from irreparable damage.

The Elm Street Program was supposed to help the area which you're talking about. As the downtown gets more and more fixed up, it's hoped that if you fix up the "walking" areas of the downtown, more businesses and more people will follow. I last read about it in February of this year but haven't heard anything since.

• 2 weeks later...