old pictures of dubois area

sscamaro

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pen voice

very awsome pics of our history! So neat to see the trolleys and abundance of trees. Hard to imagine those things ever existed (showing my age), and how far we've come!

My father use to work at the B & O and I remember him saying "I'll always have a job; there will always be a need for trains." He was laid off there when and was not called back so he went to work at the Brewery. He said "I'll always have a job; people will always drink beer." Sadly, the brewery closed and he lost his job there. He went to work for Brockway and worked there 20 years before he passed away. I imagine he would have been surprised that the plant isn't as productive as it was 20 years ago. I just don't know if change is always good.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I get so nostalgic and I wasnt' even born!

I think this barber shop was on the first floor of the Logan Hotel which stood where the parking lot now is behind the Park Ave Sheetz. Although not the finest hotel in town ,the Logan featured a good dining room and very reasonable sercice. The Logan stood, though largely in disrepair,up until the nineteen sixties when a vagrant ,who had gotten into one of the old rooms, smoked in bed thereby starting a fire  which destroyed most of the old building which was then razed.

Not the sixties, 75, or 76..can't remember exactly, but I fought that fire.  That was the occasion of the famous Bob Baronick rescue of two small children.