old pictures of dubois area

sscamaro

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bigger view of a couple......

Andy Laughlin, manager of the American Store in DuBois, Pennsylvania, in 1939. There really were a lot of items in a small area and it wasn't hard to tell what the prices were.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a picture of the Helvetia School Second and Third Graders 1940-41 These people are now in their 70's and many still reside around the area.

Posted Image

Helvetia was a coal mining town in Clearfield County, Pa. There is very little left of the town anymore.

Teacher, Mrs. Johnston, who also was the submitter's teacher in grade school

First row, left to right: Aljoe Sullin, Howard Reasinger, Casimer Stanchios, Ed Kengersky, Bill Renwick, Don Raybuck, Joe Clinchoc, Bernard Vilkinofsky, Carl Haag, Howard Frantz

Second row: John Kranick, Norma Haag, LaVerne Barabas, Alberta Barabas, Eddie Yambor, Eugene Vilkinofsky, Don Hoare, Jim Schock, _____ Kuntz, Mike Kropinack

Back row: unknown, Lois Gould, Ellen Yamrick, Bernice Barnosky, Olga Dienes, Lois Leach, Shirley Malloy, Betty Bell, Beverly Poida, and teacher Mrs. Johnston.

Close-ups...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The absence of both the Lakeside Church ,the Country Club and any cars in the Tannery Dam photo would ,I think, date the shot to 1910 or thereabouts..Also:I'm 70 and remember that old grocery store interior then known as Krogers which occupied part of the space where Joe's Tux shop is now .You had to go up one step and pull open a screen door to get in. Anyway it looked just like that......It's fun to imagine that we could have (and sometimes in winter) gotten as far as Big Run or Falls Creek on that open-sided DuBois Traction Company trolley which is shown stopped next to the Commercial Hotel (later renamed the Pershing after the visit of General Pershing to DuBois). If you caught a cold on the trolley(actually needed antibiotics,etc.)  you lay at home and usually died.Kids and old people commonly died in winter and a black carriage from the funeral carrier came to your parents house after your home funeral ,picked up your body and took it directly to Rumbarger or Mormingside to avoid common contagion like the flu or typhoid ,etc.. Our hospitals were for those with treatable problems  (there were't many of those) and were very crude in comparison to today.

We walked the walkway yesterday and hubby said the DuBois Park used to be in the field behind Martins. He said there was a gazebo and everything.  Are there any photos of that?

I started a thread on it, called "Driving Park", what it was always known as. I don't have pictures. but have seen them in the past. I hoped the story in the thread would flush out some of the old pictures.

I think this barber shop was on the first floor of the Logan Hotel which stood where the parking lot now is behind the Park Ave Sheetz. Although not the finest hotel in town ,the Logan featured a good dining room and very reasonable sercice. The Logan stood, though largely in disrepair,up until the nineteen sixties when a vagrant ,who had gotten into one of the old rooms, smoked in bed thereby starting a fire  which destroyed most of the old building which was then razed.

I am now unsure of just which hotel the barber shop in the picture was in.It may however have been in the Hotel DuBois, that hotel which is shown above.The person taking the picture knew that the person looking at him was much more prosperous than he was. No one I knew would have ventured into such a place because we simply couldn't have afforded a two dollar haircut. My father,who worked in one of the banks was accoustomed to paying, at most ,fifty cents and kids usually payed .35.This was even up to the 40's.  During the 30's depression you got your haircuts at home.. The hotels were for travelers and business men who came to town on the train.The highways were rough,slow and very dangerous especially in the winter. It was not easy to get to DuBois from Buffalo or Pittsburgh otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

those pics of Helvatia look so weird, I grew up there til i was around 12. Thought was a very cool little town we had to move due to them wanting the land for coal. My grams house used to be right in front of the dam ( for those who know helvatia, my old bus stop still stands there in front of the dam, my grands house was just behind it then there was a really big hill to get to the stop). my house was right on the interesction in the middle of (town) just below Yusnikus's (?). I miss those days so much, we were all friends in town and know everyone adn pretty much their business.

When i was older i went throught the old builing by the dam it looks pretty ruin down and that was at least 5 years ago.

• 6 months later...