GoDuBois.com

testing ground

You can pick up a Penn State soil test kit at either Agway or DuBois Feeds here in DuBois.  THey've been selling out because people are buying more of them so give the store a call before you go.  They are $9 and you won't ever regreat getting one done.

If you have heavy clay soil that doesn't drain properly then you may want to get the organic matter test done also fo an additional $5.  

They don't just give you the results, they tell you what to do to correct the problem.  Then if you need more help just call a Master Gardener who will help by getting a plan set up for you.

Diseases, bugs, garden drainage problems, bad soil, varmints, they do it all!  If it's agriculture they will find you an answer, for free!

Actually you could do it this year and maybe give your garden that last minute zip for harvest if our growing season is longer this year.  Once you have a test that shows no major changes then you can do it every other year.

Thanks I'lll have to get a kit for next year. Our garden isn't doing very well this year

Nobody's garden is doing well this year. Corn is awful. Beets and spinach didn't make it. My squash is OK but I've seen places where it has flopped over from squash borers. Cucumbers ditto. Late squash never germinated. Onions were terrible. Cauliflower was only fair. Tomatoes are looking good but I'm seeing some blossom end rot. Peppers are doing really well. Verdict isn't in yet on cabbage and eggplant. Just had a parsley drop dead. Cat doing its thing maybe? Basil did well. Broccoli are gigantic, 9 or 10 inches across. The weather is probably more to blame than your soil but testing never hurts.

If your soil doesn't seem to drain well then you may want to request the additional organic matter test for another $5.  They will tell you exactly how to correct it, and hopefully you'll have far fewer problems with your gardens next year.

First the groundhogs got their cut ( and then some) of the cabbage. My beans are spotty as are the peas. We have the carrots and beets in a raised bed and they seem ok.  The corn is maybe hip tall and in tassle with tiny ears. We haven't fertilized for a couple years so I know it's time just want to find out what I need. Thanks for the suggestions.

Forgot peas. They didn't germinate well, although I soaked them in garlic to ward off the beasties, and then the crows picked out the tops of the plants. Result: no peas. Deer ate off the beans. I think they are recovering.   I've got them covered with netting. Leeks disappeared early and were never seen again. Found the sugar snap peas that I couldn't find when it was time to plant. Maybe I'll try a fall crop.

Unless you add compost you should fertilize every year. At least side dress the plants. Toss on a little lime every few years. Don't let any male do it as they use too much since they can carry the sacks.  We had a soil test at one point and found that grandpa's advice was working just fine. Haven't bothered since.

I was wondering about my soil this year until I noticed that the fellow at the foot of Home Camp Road who always has the world's most beautiful garden (a fact that is pointed out to me more than once each year by my nearest and dearest) was having some problems this year too.

See you at the super market!

I feel much better about having a lousy garden this year. It was our first year in a long time for one. Peas - one serving out of 4 rows. Beans - 3 servings out of 4 rows. Tomotoes were blighted. Lettuce - nothing. Biggest head of broccoli - 4". Squash have plenty of flowers - no fruit. Cucumbers on the other hand are going crazy.

I'm going to test the soil to be sure as well as cut down a couple of the trees that gave us too much shade.

... and hit the farmers market.  

Also, grab all of the leaves you can find this fall and run them through with the lawn mower.  Stop where you see a mountain of bags alongside the road and ask for them.  Then rake them onto the garden.  You can add a layer of bird netting or something to keep them from blowing away too much, and in the spring you will have a whole new layer of good mulch to turn over.  There will also be a ton of good earthworms.

You can also grow a cover crop on top of the shredded leaves just as soon as your garden is done.  In the spring it will be dead and you can just plant right down through it into small holes to fit the plant.  Instant mulch! Healthy earthworms and no weeds.  Less watering.

Win/win!