GoDuBois.com

Sauce Tomatoes

WMJ77

Super Marzano is currently my favorite. It is a fairly large sauce tomato at 4 or 5 inches in a good year. It's a hybrid. You can also get a non-hybrid Marzano which isn't bad. It's San Marzano. I've also grown Roma which is sort of small. Kind of a pain to get the skins off all those little tomatoes. The Heinz tomato is OK.  I don't experiment much with canning tomatoes. If the crop fails, I cry.

I've never tried that ox-heart but I've tried growing a few others. I never have much luck with them. It's sort of chilly out here at night and I think that messes with some of the veggies that need a longer, warmer growing season.

Dug out my Totally Tomatoes catalogue and they aren't in there. The only Polina tomato I can find anywhere is a red beefsteak variety. It is not Pink Polina just Polina. It's fairly hard to come by, the only place that has it is a seed catalogue called Sunbelt Seeds. It is a hybrid that came from Israel and its main claim to fame is that it is resistant to tomato yellow leaf virus.

Just a guess but I'll bet his seeds are heirlooms that he got locally.

Super Marzano is currently my favorite. It is a fairly large sauce tomato at 4 or 5 inches in a good year. It's a hybrid. You can also get a non-hybrid Marzano which isn't bad. It's San Marzano. I've also grown Roma which is sort of small. Kind of a pain to get the skins off all those little tomatoes. The Heinz tomato is OK.  I don't experiment much with canning tomatoes. If the crop fails, I cry.

I've never tried that ox-heart but I've tried growing a few others. I never have much luck with them. It's sort of chilly out here at night and I think that messes with some of the veggies that need a longer, warmer growing season.

Even though no garden this year  :'( , I'd love to know where to get the Super Marzano for next year. I've been going with San Marzano for the last few years.

Even though no garden this year  :'( , I'd love to know where to get the Super Marzano for next year. I've been going with San Marzano for the last few years.

Totally Tomatoes http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=00723  I usually have a few extra if you're willing to pot them up yourself. You get 30 seeds in a pack and I usually go with about 18 of this type. Of course it sort of depends on germination rates.  I swear I'm cutting back on tomatoes. I've got enough canned tomatoes to wash a skunked elephant.

Totally Tomatoes http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=00723  I usually have a few extra if you're willing to pot them up yourself. You get 30 seeds in a pack and I usually go with about 18 of this type. Of course it sort of depends on germination rates.  I swear I'm cutting back on tomatoes. I've got enough canned tomatoes to wash a skunked elephant.

LOL! If you want to get rid of some next year, count me in, I'd love to try them!

Thanks!