GoDuBois.com

christmas cactus

Gilb3314

• 2 weeks later...

when I get time, I'll shrink a picture of my orchid that is blooming now. It has 4 flowers and 2 more buds. I was so excited when it got buds and then again when it bloomed!  My first orchid!!!!!!

I'll look forward to it Gilb, thanks!  :)

These pictures make me think SPRING!!!!

The peace lily from my dad's funeral three years ago....finally bloomed again.

I got one of these two months ago and I think I'm killing it. The leaves underneath keep turning all brown. I trim them off and a week later there are more dead ones. What am I doing wrong?

Peace lilies need low light and little water. I killed one by not transplanting. It got so root bound that it gave up the ghost. It bloomed well before it died but it was so big I just couldn't up the pot size anymore. I should have root trimmed it but I didn't want the mess inside and it was too cold to do it outside. Excuses, excuses.

If you got one recently it might just be the change in climate that is browning the leaves. They are hard to kill.

I keep mine in a corner away from doors and windows where it will get fewer drafts.  They really hate dry air.  Misting is good and keep them overpotted so they don't dry out.  A bigger pot holds more moisture.  

Don't let the soil dry out.  

Peace lilies need low light and little water. I killed one by not transplanting. It got so root bound that it gave up the ghost. It bloomed well before it died but it was so big I just couldn't up the pot size anymore. I should have root trimmed it but I didn't want the mess inside and it was too cold to do it outside. Excuses, excuses.

If you got one recently it might just be the change in climate that is browning the leaves. They are hard to kill.

I think it is root bound. To root trim, do I cut off some roots and try to spread them out?

I need to repot mine, well my daughters, When she had to bring it in a few falls ago, her cats wouldn't let it alone,s so it came here till spring (still here) so last summer I set it out and it got sunburnt, (leaves died off.) I trimmed it back to nothing and found that there are many plants in that one pot. I'll get around and do that someday, but it is coming back nicely. Other daughter told me that's what hers looked like when the deer ate it, right on her porch. (TL)

I think it is root bound. To root trim, do I cut off some roots and try to spread them out?

It's probably easier on the plant to put it in a bigger pot or divide it into more than one pot but if you want to root prune you just cut off slices of dirt and root on all sides of the root ball.   You can take a slice off the bottom too if you wish. Then repot it with new soil. I wouldn't mess with the roots as they will grow out on their own. You usually don't have to top prune but should things start to look bad it probably means you don't have enough roots to support the foliage. This is unlikely in a healthy plant. If it does happen cut the foliage back as well.