GoDuBois.com

Cactus

steelnut

I need help yet again.

I love cactus and I was so very fortunate to have a fellow poster give me some last year. Unfortunately the deer, for some reason pulled them out of the ground mid-winter. We managed to save a small piece, though. Last month at Lowe's on the reduced rack, I bought a bunch more of all different types and planted them. So far, so good, since I spray them twice a week with the stinky stuff.

Question is, do I have to do something over the winter for them?  A few people that I've talked to say that they'll never survive! Does anyone know it this is true? We made such a beautiful little cactus and rock garden and I don't want them to die.

As always, any help is appreciated, thanks!  

did you get the cactus from me last year? The kind we have is the only kind that will survive around here as far as I know.

Yes, that was me! It was doing so great, I kept spraying it with the stinky stuff to keep the deer away. Hubby said that I was crazy, because deer wouldn't touch it. Yeah right! I stopped spraying it around the end of September thinking that it was safe. Wrong! It's amazing that they would actually try to eat it!

Well, it looks like I need to dig up all of my newbies, ugh!

Thanks to all!

Has anyone else done this? Like, do I dig them up and keep them in the root cellar or do they need warmer temps? I hate to think of losing them, they're so beautiful.

Yes, that was me! It was doing so great, I kept spraying it with the stinky stuff to keep the deer away. Hubby said that I was crazy, because deer wouldn't touch it. Yeah right! I stopped spraying it around the end of September thinking that it was safe. Wrong! It's amazing that they would actually try to eat it!

Well, it looks like I need to dig up all of my newbies, ugh!

Thanks to all!

Has anyone else done this? Like, do I dig them up and keep them in the root cellar or do they need warmer temps? I hate to think of losing them, they're so beautiful.

Do you have light in your root cellar? The cooler temperature will force them into bloom if there is light. Otherwise just put them on a sunny windowsill and grow them on the dry side.