GoDuBois.com

Gardening newbie

Her78TA

Well, there might be a chance of doing cuttings from the mother plant.  Other than that you might try E Bay but it would be a houseplant here that would probably like to spend the summer on a deck.

That's where she keeps it.  I bet the deer here at TReasure Lake would love it.  It is gorgeous though..

Guest snellma

My understanding was that compost is the breakdown of the maneur, leaves, papers, peat moss and etc. Is that correct?  If it is correct, than your first year you wouldn't be able to have the compost or do the lasagna gardening, right?

Otherwise please tell me how to do it.

That is not true with the lasagna garden.  You can use it right away or cover it over the winter and then use it the next year.  I saw an example of it that day and they were growing tomato plants in it and they had just built it.  I really suggest getting the book if you are interested.  I am loving it and just started reading it.  I wondered about having to re-do it every year and she said no.  Just keep adding new layers to it.

I think the problem is saving enough stuff for each layer.  I have tons of leaves and grass clippings but don't have any food scraps.  What I will probably do this first year in my porch boxes is go buy a few bags of stuff from lowes or the local landscaping place to get me started and then start saving.

Guest snellma
Does anyone know where you can get pine needle mulch around here?  Thanks!/quote]

Send me some money and I will be happy to bring you some over the 4th of July.  They sell it here in bails just like hay.

Does anyone know where you can get pine needle mulch around here?  Thanks!/quote]

Send me some money and I will be happy to bring you some over the 4th of July.  They sell it here in bails just like hay.

We'll  be at the beach (Wilmington, NC area) early July, so maybe I'll just fill the roof top carrier up with pine needles and leave the rest of our stuff behind!

Seriously, I think I'll just keep refining my present garden techniques, which basically is peat moss and mushroom compost.  Probably safer for an amateur such as myself!  Remember growing up when I had to rototill (hated that) and then my Dad would get a load of manure dumped on the garden and I had to spread that (hated that more).  Swore I would never step foot in a garden again!

That is not true with the lasagna garden.  You can use it right away or cover it over the winter and then use it the next year.  I saw an example of it that day and they were growing tomato plants in it and they had just built it.  I really suggest getting the book if you are interested.  I am loving it and just started reading it.  I wondered about having to re-do it every year and she said no.  Just keep adding new layers to it.

I think the problem is saving enough stuff for each layer.  I have tons of leaves and grass clippings but don't have any food scraps.  What I will probably do this first year in my porch boxes is go buy a few bags of stuff from lowes or the local landscaping place to get me started and then start saving.

Knowing how hot a compost heap gets, I'm wondering what would happen if you put grass and new manure into the mix and then planted before it composted.  Grass gets hot just sitting in the cart if it is wet and it sits there for a few days. Might try it on my peppers and eggplant which never get enough heat.

Be sure to fertilize well with the mushroom compost and peat moss.  Whie they both condition soil well they don't usually add much in the way of nutrients.  That's where you need real compost and maybe some worm castings.

Be sure to fertilize well with the mushroom compost and peat moss.  Whie they both condition soil well they don't usually add much in the way of nutrients.  That's where you need real compost and maybe some worm castings.

I'll remember that this year--last couple of years it was just mushroom compost and peat moss.  I have a fairly small vegetable garden--18' x 7' in a raised bed.  I also have a spot behind a fence where I usually put the sunflowers and some squash plants.  Then there is the spot for the strawberries and blueberries.

With all the talk about leading a healthier lifestyle and saving money, I have decided I would like to start a vegetable garden. I know absolutely nothing about growing vegetables! I know the first step is getting the ground ready, but after that, I'm clueless. All you gardening pro's out there, please lead me in the right direction. Thank you!!!

find dirt------get seeds-------put in dirt-------add water-------wait

K.I.S.S.