GoDuBois.com

Cat poo =(

I have a flower bed outside the front of the house by the porch.

The neighborhood cats like to poop in it. Gross. Plus I am pregnant and I can't be breathing it anyways.

What is a good deterant to keep them from pooping in there without being harmful to the flowers and our two dogs?

The neighborhood cats like to poop in it. Gross. Plus I am pregnant and I can't be breathing it anyways.

What is a good deterant to keep them from pooping in there without being harmful to the flowers and our two dogs?

Remington super x number 4 shot  ..........

Here's a natural home remedy. I haven't used it myself but........  And congratulations on your pregnancy!! :)

http://www.luvmycritters.com/Homemade-Cat-Repellent.html

Remington super x number 4 shot  ..........

Yeah of course, shooting it is always the easiest way.... just turn a blind eye when the little girl next door bawls her eyes out at the bloodied mess that was once her beloved little kitty!

I may be a little ignorant here, but apart from the ammonia that is in cat pee that might be a little offensive on the nose, whats in cat poop to hurt a pregnant woman and her unborn child?

Yeah of course, shooting it is always the easiest way.... just turn a blind eye when the little girl next door bawls her eyes out at the bloodied mess that was once her beloved little kitty!

I may be a little ignorant here, but apart from the ammonia that is in cat pee that might be a little offensive on the nose, whats in cat poop to hurt a pregnant woman and her unborn child?[/quote]

Not sure, but it made me have to clean litter boxes on two separate occasions a lot more than I wanted to!

I just had to look it up!

Pregnancy women can become infected with a disease called Toxoplasmosis. This disease can be contracted from the feces of cats. If a human gets that infective form into the mouth, and swallows it, (or breathes it in in dust and swallows it) then they can be infected.

It takes 48 hours for the the cat feces to become "active" -- so new cat poop isn't infective.

If your cat happens to be infected and shedding, and you have never been infected, and you happen to be pregnant (but only during a specific time of pregnancy, not the entire 9 months) then your baby "might" be infected and "might" be damaged by that infection -- it is rare but it can be devastating.

You are more likely to get the infection from undercooked meat, not from your cat!

This is why it is recommended that pregnant women not scoop cat litter.

I worked with a girl at the Hoss's in Williamsport that got toxoplasmosis.  She was so sickly her whole pregnancy that she only gained six pounds and the baby was very premature and had to go to Danville for checkups all the time.

Toxoplasmosis is also dangerous for anyone who has a weak or compromised immune system.  My elderly grandfather ultimately died from a toxoplasmosis infection (he was in his 80s and had cancer, but this pushed him over the edge).

You men and your damn guns. You may be allowed to protect yourselves but killing kitties Why?????

WHY???  You ask, why???   It is because Catlovers are not showing the same diligence and responsibility that a dog owner is supposed to.    Control your cat and we will control our methods of dealing with the uncontrolled critters !    

I had the same problem a few years ago. Only there were about 15 cats (the neighbors, 1 was mine). I tried everything that was suggested here and at the hardware store, but nothing worked. So I decided to put up a fence around the flower bed, only the fence was that mesh stuff to keep deer and birds away from trees, bushes and such. Wasnt the prettiest, till I found an almost clear mesh. Was about 3-4 ft high.

I don't know about cats for sure but we've found that ammonia works on other animals. You can poke small holes in a bottle and the fumes will keep most things away. Animals have very sensitive noses and think what ammonia does to your sinuses. Bleach works, too.

have your husband keep it cleaned for you,that way you're safe.

Just remember that anything you sprinkle or spray around your flower bed may not be good for all kinds of flowers, and probably not good for you to do either......and most all washes away with every rain so it would have to be re applied.

I have never caught the cat in the act...but I have a pretty good idea which one it is. My husband is not fond of cats AT ALL. I am not so concerned with the cat pooping there (I'd rather it didn't!) but with being pregnant and I desperately need to pull the weeds out of there before the flowers bloom, it's driving me crazy!

Plus I read some where that toxoplasmosis is most harmful the last 2-3 months of your pregnancy...which is right where I am at.

I think it's crap that cats are allowed to roam free and poop or whatever...where ever they want to. I don't let my dog run the neighborhood to poop in your flower bed, why should your cat be allowed? Sounds like a double standard to me!

I can't try any methods suggested until the bed gets cleaned out. The darn cat must check it every night b/c if there's old poo it will not go there for about 2 weeks. But if it's cleaned up every day or so, the cat poops there again. and again. I played that game last summer. It got old !

Guest Tracy96

You could try putting some clove spices around the area when the cat is pooping.  I don't know if it works but I remember reading it somewhere.  Orange peels are supposed to work too.  Cat's are not supposed to like citrus smells.