GoDuBois.com

mums

slk24

I know you can plant mums outside, but yesterday my son asked if they will come up again next year or they considered annuals.   If you can leave them in the ground for next year, do you cut them back later in the fall like you do day lillies?

If your garden is in a warmer microclimate with good soil and drainage then your mums may survive from year to year.  The BUDS Gardeners have had several plants survive from year to year, and indeed we had to take the ones out of the DuBois Historical Society beds because they grew like weeds and took over everything even with pruning.

We've also had them come up more than two years in a row at the Medicine Shoppe tree beds,

The key to holding them over winter is good mulching and/warmer temperatures, and good drainage so the roots don't rot.

I live out on the Rockton Road and our temperatures are sometimes ten degrees colder than in town so they do not overwinter here for me.

Guest snellma

You all might want to try this.  Get the brown paper recycling bags and cut the bottoms off.  Place them over the plants and then fill them up with your grass clippings and leaves.  This really helps them during the winter.