GoDuBois.com

Problem with my tomato plants

Does anyone know what would cause the lower leaves to get black spots, turn yellow, and then the leaves die? This is happening to many of my tomato plants. There is no sign of bugs. The rest of the plant looks healthy and I snipped the bad leaves off. Will it spread to the rest of the plant anyways and what can I do about it?

Guest panurse

might be too much water. I had that happen to one of flowering plants. Not sure if that is the problem in your case or not, but it was in my case.

Some of the diseases of plants, especially the ones caused by fungus, spread more when it rains. That is why the old gardeners say that you shouldn't pick beans when it is wet. I've heard this complaint this year as well but haven't seen any of the plants.

It is supposed to be dry all next week. Let us know if that clears up the problem.

You may want to try layering newspaper all around under your plants.  Sometimes the diseases are splashed up from the soil onto the lower leaves when it rains so if you eliminate that problem you may eliminate the disease.

Petee,

It's funny that you said that because I just got the same idea a few days ago and started to do that. I wish I had done it with all the plants, and sooner. I started it to cut down on weeds, not knowing that it might help prevent other problems too. I am going to get out there tomorrow and add newspaper to the other plants.

Brenda

I got a look at some tomatoes today that were in really bad shape with brown crumbling leaves, leasions on the stem and the collapse of stem tissue. The picture from Junk'a Aggie website  is very close to what I saw. It is called late blight or Phytophthora infestans, a fungus that runs rampant in wet weather. I hauled my fungicide over to my neighbors yard and gave those tomatoes a good spraying although some of them were pretty far gone. Left some over there to give them a couple of more sprays. Will report back on whether it did any good.

late_blight_3971.jpg

I hope it helps your neighbor's tomatoes. Mine are looking great now. I pinched off the bad leaves and put more newspaper under some. It seems to help because it keeps the soil off the leaves. I was thinking while I did this how depressing it would be if something killed all my plants. There is so much that can go wrong no matter how much we try to learn and do the right things gardening.

The entire top rotted out on my Husky Red Cherry tomato and the rest of it looks questionable.  It looks just like the picture with blackened stems and leaves.  My daughter from Portage said they had an announcement on their news that there is a particularly nasty tomato fungus on the rise.  This may be it.

the biggest problem with tomato plants is that they are tomato plants :puke:

I much prefer garden goodies like cucs, green onions, radishes or other snacks not easily found at the store

ok I will shut up now  :B - back to your tomato plants :yell: *dry heaves*