GoDuBois.com

Dogwood and mulching

what would be good to mulch around a dogwood.    We had used a red cypress around clementis and it killed them basically so want to stay away from something like that happening.  I have pulled more grss from around it so I don't get close with the mower but it has kind of sunken in around the planting hole.

thanks

They sell a round mat that looks like mulch but is really shredded tires. Its got a hole in the center. You should never put mulch right up against your trees. Bugs & mold like mulch, trees don't like bugs & mold. Rubber mulch is much better!!

Any mulch should work but as Bon says never put it right up to the trunk. You might want to stay away from the dyed mulches but they usually don't cause any harm. I doubt if the mulching killed your clematis. They like to have cool roots. There are 4 different clematis types and they require different pruning. Pruning them wrong can kill some of them. Some are just not going to grow in a certain spot. Then there is clematis wilt. 

Then I'd suggest that they were not in a good place for them. They say that clematis likes its head in the sun and its feet in the shade. They like their roots cool. It is suggested that you plant them deeper than you would normally plant, putting the first leaves into the ground. Then mulch them with either bark or stones.They need good moisture but also good drainage. They bloom best with full sun although a few types will bloom in the shade. The only ones I've every had luck with are the small purple ones. 

Hope you have a late blooming dogwood. The frost gets my flowers every year. 

My favorite flowering tree is a red bud, the leaves are heart shaped. My mom had one in the back yard. It didn't grow that well while the 3 of us were living at home ... it was second base!! After we all left it grew to be a very nice tree!! Last year it got hit with lightning and and part of a big tree came down on it, so it got cut down.  That tree had to be around 40 years!!!

i love flowering dogwood trees! it's actually my favorite "flower" (roses have pricks, so that why guys give roses hehehe sorry had to jab at the guys and be a feminist pig lol)

I think that the pink ones are magnificent. A "caretaker" with the DTEGC just bought a really beautiful one for one of the public beds. I'm not going to say where because the last time I put that kind of information in our newsletter the plant promptly disappeared. Dummy me actually labeled it!