GoDuBois.com

Community Composting

Delta

My bil lives near Philly, and they are able to put out any and all yard waste.  Their waste service picks it up and composts it.  Bil can go get compost whenever he needs it.  Wonder if something like that could be implemented here.

I've spoken to a young man recently who is interested in starting community composting in DuBois, Sandy or a close locality.  He's energetic, and if he can get through the local political circles, he should be very successful.

The Down to Earth Garden Club currently has a small composting operation for members. An operation that involved community participation had to be disbanded because people were dumping non-compostable material. (No, tires and large brush are not good for your compost pile.) There were a few tentative efforts later to involve the city but they were rather unsuccessful. Same problem, they felt it would become a dumping place and it was hard to argue since the first effort went that way.

Our composting operation is centrally located and anyone who wants to become involved is welcome. It is on private property and we are seriously interested in composting (most of the compost goes into the beds we tend) not in providing a home for unwanted materials. We would be delighted to expand it. If anyone is interested he/she can pm me or email [mail]downtoearthgardenclub@hotmail.com.[/mail]