GoDuBois.com

gardening yet?

candijo13

Guest FarmersDaughter

I'm still in outdoor clean-up mode.  I want to plant some new perrenials this year and start a new flower bed in the front yard.  Just waiting for the weather to straighten out.

I'm only growing hot peppers from seed this year, they are looknig great. Nagas, Bhuts, Chocolate Habs, Orange Habs, Thai Hot, Devils Tounge and Fresnos.  :)

I'vr got about 400+ seeds started for the BUDS plant sale and I think there's that many more to get into the seed trays.  With remodeling still going on you shoud see the contortions we have to do to get around the house!  The greenhouse is getting started tomorrow so I can move some of these babies outside.

calling for a chance of ......snow , tuesday/ wensday :-/

Bite your tongue!

Got 5 or 6 different kinds of tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of cabbage, 2 kinds of cauliflower, eggplant, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, parsley, cilantro, two kinds of basil, rosemary, leeks and 2 kinds of bunch onions up and ready for bigger pots. Planted two different colors of Wave petunias, a new kind of orange/salmon colored hyssop (Agastache), goatsbeard and gallardia. The weirdies for the year are white-eyed Susan vines and Osage oranges. But the prizes of the collection are the 6 kinds of Japanese morning glories that I managed to find. Some of them are small enough to go in pots and some are supposed to stay open all day. The colors are out of this world!

Now ask me what I am going to do with all of this stuff.

Guest Tracy96

I started seeds indoors less than a week ago and they're already sprouting.  Package said 50-70 days...lol  I used miracle grow soil and wow did they grow fast.

My uncle gave me some rhubarb seeds going to try and start them indoors. I don't know how that's going to work ,never tried it before. Also a bunch of pumpkin seeds to start.Most of the time my "green thumb" and I don't do the best.

Guest snellma

I started some tomatoes from seed in the house but as fast as they come up and look good they wilt and die.  I usually just buy my pepper plants and tomatoes and it looks like things won't be any different this year.  I am going to try some broccoli and cauliflower this year but I think it may be too warm for them down here.  We will see.  Most everything else I plant from seed right in the garden.

I have two catnip bushes that look like they won;t be coming back this year, but two that are doing well. I don;t know how many years they come back, but these two I've only had two years. I have seeds started, but I can never seem to grow them from seed. This year I'm trying again, though.

Now that this thread is in the gardening forum you can get all of your problems cheerfully solved.

Mr. d let us know about the rhubarb seeds. It never occurred to me to start then that either. Usually it is root divisions.  My daughter has strawberry plants that she started from the seeds on the outside of the strawberry. Who would have every thought to try that one either?

Now that this thread is in the gardening forum you can get all of your problems cheerfully solved.

Mr. d let us know about the rhubarb seeds. It never occurred to me to start then that either. Usually it is root divisions.  My daughter has strawberry plants that she started from the seeds on the outside of the strawberry. Who would have every thought to try that one either?

Over the weekend my uncle gave me rhubarb seeds I just put them in some Miricale-Grow potting soil on Monday. Wait see how long it takes for them to sprout. My uncle said he never tried it from seed. Last year I bought 1 rhubarb plant and it did not really grow very much. I just checked last night and the rhubarb plant is just starting to come up fom last year.Probably should have gotten a couple of plants.

I think I'll let mine go to seed this year if it flowers and give that a try. I don't know if it will or not as this planting is only a couple of years old. This is my 3rd try. The first on my husband mowed out and the 2nd just didn't get enough sun.

I started some tomatoes from seed in the house but as fast as they come up and look good they wilt and die.  I usually just buy my pepper plants and tomatoes and it looks like things won't be any different this year.  I am going to try some broccoli and cauliflower this year but I think it may be too warm for them down here.  We will see.  Most everything else I plant from seed right in the garden.

If you're not using seed starting medium then you may want to get it.  It's properly sterilized to stop soil borne diseases that kill seedlings.

Guest snellma

If you're not using seed starting medium then you may want to get it.  It's properly sterilized to stop soil borne diseases that kill seedlings.

I'm using those little pellet soil disks.  You water them and they expand.  They are specifically made for starting seeds so I would assume they would be ok.

Try keeping them a little drier and watering them from the bottom.  You can also cover the surface of the soil around the plant with sterilized sand.  You probably have damping off disease which is common in poor growth circumstances.  You also want to keep a little fan blowing on the seedlings to help keep the soil surface drier.  Don't cover them with anything like a lid once about 50% of the seeds have germinated. Give them a lot of light.

I hope this helps.

Almost anything that produces seeds will start new plants.  However, in the case of Rhubarb it takes quite a few years till the plant will get to the size of a start off of a mature plant.  If you want to start a million plants though, or get a variety not otherwise available, the seeds are a good idea.

Guest snellma

Finally got the soaker hose buried and my black plastic weed mat laid this weekend.  The only thing I really got planted was my peas.  I will hopefully get everthing else in this week.

I was able to pick about 6 gallons of strawberries and got them put up.  Froze enough berries for 5 batches of strawberry jam (which will get made a little later).  Hope to go get about 6 more gallons the next time I go.  The berries were beautiful but we really need a few really good hot sunny days and they will be perfect.  Thank goodness they didn't freeze in that frost scare we had.

Got the plastic on that big commercial sized green house that my hubby couldn't pass up when he spotted it on his way home one day. I've moving some big pots out there today and filling them up with dirt to see if I can grow lettuce and radishes.

Going to move all of the potted perennials for the May plant sale in there, too. I'll have to water them but it will be give them a head start.

I tore apart an Osage orange a couple of months ago and the seedlings are all ready to be potted up.

It supposedly takes two years to get a light picking of rhubarb when you plant it from seed. It takes me that long to get it when I plant the root so I don't know how accurate that is.