GoDuBois.com

Planting Taters

Yes, you  can quarter them etc. I usually buy seed potatoes and prefer Kenebec (sp) and also plant a red potatoe as well but I throw a whole potatoe in the hill instead of cutting them and have good luck that way.  I was eating potatoes from the garden up till a few ago and finally ran out.  Good luck

Just leave enough of the tuber to feed the sprout until it develops good roots. The advantage of buying seed potatoes is that you can be sure you are getting scab resistant varieties. Don't lime your soil for potatoes if you have the scab bacteria in the soil and if you get potato beetles kill them off quick. They can strip the plant of leaves in no time. I haven't grown potatoes in a long time. You are tempting me.

• 4 weeks later...

Some  potatoes are ttreated so yo get all stalk and no tators so people won't buy cheaper bags of tators at the store instead of planting tators. I had this happen when I used a partial bag of store bought that were growing eyes and didn't get one potato out the row.

Up until a few weeks ago we were still eating taters out of the garden.  I love to plant them and love to dig them and love to eat them.  Seems I always have a salt shaker with me while I dig a few hmmmmmmm

That might have been a little misleading. I dug them last fall and stored them properly and have been eating them for most of the winter.  The small ones that are now left will probably be planted but I do buy seed taters to plant for my crop.  I like Kenebeck (sp) and also plant a red tater as well.  As for the salt shaker that is when I am out in the garden stealing a tater here and there without disturbing the whole plant while they grow....... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to be a lot more careful of the pumpkins than of the potatoes. If the potatoes get frosted they will come back but the pumpkins won't make it if the frost gets them. I've cut the bottoms out of clear milk jugs and put them over plants that were put out too early. This won't protect them from frost so much as warm things up just a little so they will thrive rather than just sit there until warmer weather. You would still probably have to cover if we got anything more than a very light frost.

Luckily Pumpkins are easy to replant.  Starting the seeds inside isn't really necessary, and even if you do, I wouldn't do it more than 3, maybe even 2 weeks ahead of time.  They just get way too big to deal with.  

Unless you have ideal transplanting conditions, pumpkins started in the ground will catch up with anything you start ahead.