GoDuBois.com

Help with Herbs?

steelnut

I love cooking with fresh herbs, I started about 6 or 7 years ago. Each year I've added something else to the garden. The thing is that each year I let them go and just buy the fresh herbs to cook with, which is such a waste.

From googling a bit, I've found that oregano, chives, thyme and rosemary are perennial. I already knew about the chives, because they just keep coming back each year. The thing is, do you just dig some up and pot them to use over the winter, or do they just kind of die off like perennial flowers? I have a nice big kitchen window, but it only gets afternoon sunlight, would that be enough to sustain them if they don't die off? I truly appreciate any advice, thanks!

Rosemary isn't hardy around here so do bring it in. I know people who grow it inside. I do it myself until I forget to water it. It doesn't like that!

Oregano, thyme and chives will come back each year. They are hardy perennials. I'd say leave them in the ground and enjoy them in the summer. You can pot up rooted pieces of the thyme and dig up clumps of chives to bring in and try to grow for the winter. It won't hurt the main plant. Take cuttings from the oregano and root them. If you dig up the main plant and can't get it through the winter you will have to get more for your herb garden in the spring. Better to do cuttings and leave the plant for next year.

Don't expect miracles as herbs like lots and lots of sun but you should be able to grow the plants inside.

Oh, and if you have basil take a few cuttings of that as well. It is an annual but will grow through the winter. You could even try digging up the plant if you have room for it.

A bare garden means you get to rest! I made potato leek soup yesterday. The leeks are nice this year. I still have cabbage and hopefully brussel sprouts to harvest. And parsley lots of parsley. I read that basil does well when you preserve it with salt. I put away some of the basil that way. Maybe I'll try it with some parsley.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to do a big pot of herbs this year too. I don't think I will ever plant herbs in the ground again after "The Dill Incident". Anyone who has ever planted dill will understand.

LOL, been there. It happens every year and hubby grumbles about it every year.  :)

I wish I was cursed with dill. It doesn't reseed for me and doesn't even grow very well. When I do find a plant it is growing in the driveway or someplace equally weird. Maybe it just isn't warm enough or sunny enough back here in the woods. I've seen it growing wild on the west coast and I can't begin to duplicate those conditions.

I planted it once and we had 8 years of a lovely field of dill, just where I didn't want it. You could walk out my door and smell it.  Lesson learned, mint goes in a pot and dill stays in the seed packet at the store :) The only thing I could tell you lavender is that it was on a protected hillside, it might like to be really well drained.

I planted it once and we had 8 years of a lovely field of dill, just where I didn't want it. You could walk out my door and smell it.  Lesson learned, mint goes in a pot and dill stays in the seed packet at the store :) The only thing I could tell you lavender is that it was on a protected hillside, it might like to be really well drained.

If good drainage is necessary I'll never be able to grow it well. My whole yard has clay not too far below the surface. The drainage is awful. I swear that there is a stand of it near the exit to the interstate in Brookville but it is an impossible place to get out and look. It is a hillside and probably well drained so that may be the key.