GoDuBois.com

Help with cats getting along

Bebe Boxer

I previously posted about the kitten that showed up on our porch several weeks ago, and of course no one claimed her.  So, since she (now called Peanut) has claimed me, I have a problem with my other cats.  Both are adult, spayed females (Bella is 6 years old and Ali is about 4 years old).  Bella and Peanut tolerate each other and will eat on the porch together but have spats at least once a day.  Maybe because Peanut is definitely pregnant.  Ali, who is afraid of her own shadow, is absolutely terrified of Peanut.  Ali refused to go out on the porch and runs down the cellar steps when someone opens the back door to go outside.  Unless someone claims this sweet little Peanut or I find a nice home for her (after the kittens are born and weaned), my house will become chaos when the weather starts getting cold again as I refuse to let the little girl stay out in the cold.  Anyone with suggestions, please let me know.  And if anyone feels the need for a new kitty I know where you can get one.  Maybe even two pretty soon.

Guest JenMc32

Try baby-gating off areas so that they can see eachother but not touch/fight.  I have a friend who had to do this for 3 months before her new cat (who hated dogs, and actually had her 90lb Boxer & 50lb Staffie up on the top of the couch scared of her) would coexist.  Now they play :)

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  I have tried these things in the past as I previously worked for an animal shelter and frequently had foster babies.  But I just wanted to let you all know that the little girl is no longer pregnant as she miscarried on Saturday afternoon.  I was afraid she was way too young and hoped I was wrong about her pregnancy.  Nonetheless, she is doing fine now and back to her feisty self.  She has become even more loveable and would really like someone who can cuddle with her all the time...............