GoDuBois.com

Time to plant Irises

Petee

• 2 weeks later...

If there is no insect or blight damage just toss them into the compost.  Otherwise send them to the garbage.

Yes, Gypsywannabe is right.  They should always be trimmed for the winter down to 3-6 inches above the growth area.  Trimming them takes away the main area where Iris borers like to over winter.

It does them good to dig them every 2-3 years and look for damage or rotten spots on the roots.  Then you can also divide them, amend the soil and replant them in other places.

All debris should be cleaned up around iris as any of it will harbor the eggs of the iris borer or other pathogens.  This unfortunately includes mulch. My iris bed is the only one that isn't mulched because the rhizomes are so susceptible to disease and rot. It is probably more important to keep your iris bed clean than it is to trim off 6 inches of the top of the leaves. I'm with gypsy, I never do it. There are too many garden chores in the fall. If you have iris borer by all means trim the iris leaves but if they are healthy I don't think it accomplishes anything.

Hey Petee since you're on here, off subject, but the pods on my moonflowers, do they have seeds in them.  If so do you want them for the garden club?

Congratulations, you are a rare one to actually get some flowers this year!   What did you do that the rest of us didn't?

Yes, I can use all the seeds you can provide.  Thank you.  How do I get them?

Our neighbor on the eastside had millions of Moonflowers this year and down here they seem to be great blolomers this year. My neighbor here is starting some new plants for me for next year. He separates them and stakes them so he can find them early.

The seed pods are so cool. I like to put them in my fall decorations as I've never had a plant grow from them.

Congratulations, you are a rare one to actually get some flowers this year!   What did you do that the rest of us didn't?

Yes, I can use all the seeds you can provide.  Thank you.  How do I get them?

Not sure I originally got them from you at a sale.  They were beautiful this year.  I PM'd you.

The ones I sold had a really good start so I'm guessing that you have some fantastic soil.  I'll have them again next year and I think I need to find another place to grow them.  

Lots of sun, moist rich soil?

The ones I sold had a really good start so I'm guessing that you have some fantastic soil.  I'll have them again next year and I think I need to find another place to grow them.  

Lots of sun, moist rich soil?

My moon flowers didn't bloom till 2 weeks ago. I didn't do anything to them this year. Just pulled them out of the basement, put in the sun, watered and waited. Didn't think they would bloom, because it took forever, but finally they did. I didn't take and pics of them either  :(

Our neighbor on the eastside had millions of Moonflowers this year and down here they seem to be great blolomers this year. My neighbor here is starting some new plants for me for next year. He separates them and stakes them so he can find them early.

The seed pods are so cool. I like to put them in my fall decorations as I've never had a plant grow from them.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Devil's Trumpet?  Moonflower is a vine that doesn't reseed well if at all.  Devil's Trumpet is short and shrubby with a seed pod that is an extremely thorny rounded ball and reseeds itself well.  It is also highly toxic to pets and children.