GoDuBois.com

Is this a Moonflower?

VikingPrincess

I got some seeds from Tipcat (i think it was her!) and she said they were moonflowers; I was reading up on them and it says that they bloom at night and then they die by morning.  Mine are open all day and night and not dying off, which is great~ but I am curious, if they are not moonflowers, what are they?  The flowers are about 5-6 inches wide.

They smell heavenly and are so beautiful!!!

posie_2163.jpg

Yes, that is a moonflower aka as Datura. I found a plant labeled "balsam" among the garden club's plants that I am supposed to be heeling in for the winter. I got a picture of the flower before I stuck it in the ground. I'm hoping it will reseed as I'm betting it is an annual. I'm wondering if it is the same as your balsam.

Thanks.  No pods yet, I don't think.  I read that the flowers only open at night and that they only last that one night... mine are open all day and night, and have lasted several days so far.  Maybe a certain species of moonflower?  Also I image googled the seeds and they don't look like the ones shown in google?  

The balsam is different, I posted a pic on the other thread.  I asked him to send me more seed, hopefully he will.

That is Devil's Trumpet (looks up from Hell!:-) Datura. alias Jimsom Weed, Loco Weed, is extremely hallucinagenic to animals and children and reseeds itself.  Yes it is beautiful.

Moonflower Vine is an annual that looks pretty much the same except it grows on a vine. Beautiful also and extremely fragrant.  This must be seeded in the spring.

Brugmansia, alias Angel's Trumpet (looks down from Heaven) is more of a shrubby tree and the flower looks the same, comes in a variety of colors, is wonderfully fragrant and is a tender Perennial which must come in for the winter.  Mine smells like Baby Powder, emerges yellow and almost immediately turns pink.

Mine got so big that I gave it to a friend who has a huge window in his business and it bloomed all winter and summer.

Being picky about common names is futile as plants are what people call them. That is why they are known as "common names". Moonflower vine also known as  just moonflower is Ipomoea alba. It looks like a morning glory which it more or less is.  The Datura, of which there are a number of species, are also known as moonflower. Jimson weed is Datura stramonium. It is also known as  moonflower, thorn-apple, mad apple, devil's trumpet, devil's apple, stinkwort, Jamestown weed and datura. The purple one is Datura metel or D. fatuosa. It is commonly known as purple thorn apple, horn-of-plenty, downy thorn apple, Hindu thorn apple, hoary thorn apple and some of the names that are applied to Jimson weed such as Datura and devil's trumpet. I think the one we grow might be Datura innoxia. It is known as all of the above as well as sacred Datura. Did I mention Hells Bells. I really like that one! Here is a reference from the Center of Disease Control of the US government that refers to Datura as moonflower

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5233a2.

htm

If the feds can call it moonflower I assume we can too. It is also an interesting article on the effects of munching on it.

Datura and Brugmansia were the same genus until the taxonomists decided to separate them a few years ago. Who knows, they may combine them again a few years in the future. Call it what you want, just don't have it for lunch.

Sorry, I can't get the link to activate.

That's what our moonflower looked like. We really enjoyed it. Is there a prickly looking seed pod on it? We are ging to try to plant the seeds next spring.

They will reseed theirselves if you don't get to the pods.  I take some pods off and leave a bunch.  If you don't pull the plant up, it will also come up again next year. I have had one plant for quite a few years.  A neighbor gave me seeds that I started it from.

They will reseed theirselves if you don't get to the pods.  I take some pods off and leave a bunch.  If you don't pull the plant up, it will also come up again next year. I have had one plant for quite a few years.  A neighbor gave me seeds that I started it from.

Will it still do that in a large pot?