GoDuBois.com

Help in identifying

Guest snellma

Guest snellma

Ok, all you great identifiers, I need help.  I don't have a picture right now so I will do my best to explain it.  We were at Brusters yesterday and they have an arbor with this vine growing up and around it.  It had this neat dark purple flower (with some white and dark maroon red) on it that reminded me of a lupine.  I kept looking at the leaves and knew it looked familiar.  This morning I got up and put 2 and 2 together.  I am almost positive it is some form of wisteria but can't find anything to match it.  Our wisteria was done blooming months ago, but this one is just starting to bloom.  Any thoughts?  I will try to get a picture this evening.  I broke off one of the branches to see if I could get it to root.

Guest snellma

It might be the native American Wisteria rather than one of the oriental imports. It grows in your region. Check Wisteria frutescens

Nope, not it.  Here are the pictures.  Sorry for the busy back ground but I just have it proped up on the corner of the kitchen.  Love my 70's wallpaper???  YUK!  Can't wait to replace it.

post-614-13623823391816_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823391979_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823392153_thumb.jpg

post-614-1362382339231_thumb.jpg

Guest snellma

From the shape of the flowers I thought it was the family Leguminosae. You said it was a vine. After that it was google all the way. It took about five minutes after I gave up on different species of real wisteria.

But it is wisteria.  You said you gave up on wisteria.  Did you mean you gave up on the American types of wisteria?

My parents were big into flowers so I acquired a lot of my knowledge from them, but I don't even come close to a lot of you here on this site.

OK Ladies, I cheat. I have a degree in biology with a concentration on horticulture so I learned the basics for identifying plants too many years ago to count.  Plants are classified by their flower structure so you can do some narrowing just by that. Snellma recognized the plant she had from her experience as a relative of the wisteria; same family different genus and species. I just sorted out her observations.

There are a number of plants (true wisteria) in the genus Wisteria. Wikipedia lists:

Wisteria brachybotrys

Wisteria floribunda - Japanese Wisteria

Wisteria frutescens - American Wisteria

Wisteria japonica

Wisteria macrostachya - Kentucky Wisteria

Wisteria sinensis - Chinese Wisteria

Wisteria venusta - Silky Wisteria

Wisteria villosa

See, all genus Wisteria. Snellma's plant is Millettia taiwanensis. The genus is Millettia not Wisteria. Not a true Wisteria. That is why common names are so tricky; they lead you astray. I looked at the Wisteria genus and realized that the plant Snellma had wasn't any of those so I moved on from the genus Wisteria.

Does that make it any clearer? If not it is magic and I'm a lucky guesser.

Snellma, you know more than you think you do; you just haven't the tools to sort it out.

Guest snellma

OK Ladies, I cheat. I have a degree in biology with a concentration on horticulture so I learned the basics for identifying plants too many years ago to count.  Plants are classified by their flower structure so you can do some narrowing just by that. Snellma recognized the plant she had from her experience as a relative of the wisteria; same family different genus and species. I just sorted out her observations.

There are a number of plants (true wisteria) in the genus Wisteria. Wikipedia lists:

Wisteria brachybotrys

Wisteria floribunda - Japanese Wisteria

Wisteria frutescens - American Wisteria

Wisteria japonica

Wisteria macrostachya - Kentucky Wisteria

Wisteria sinensis - Chinese Wisteria

Wisteria venusta - Silky Wisteria

Wisteria villosa

See, all genus Wisteria. Snellma's plant is Millettia taiwanensis. The genus is Millettia not Wisteria. Not a true Wisteria. That is why common names are so tricky; they lead you astray. I looked at the Wisteria genus and realized that the plant Snellma had wasn't any of those so I moved on from the genus Wisteria.

Does that make it any clearer? If not it is magic and I'm a lucky guesser.

Snellma, you know more than you think you do; you just haven't the tools to sort it out.

Thanks.  That makes perfect sense to me.  Having the degree in Biology with horticulture as your specialty sure does fill in the gaps as to why you know so much.

I was the office manager for the Biology/Chemistry Dept. at Liberty University but I got to know reptiles more.  Didn't get too involved with the botany classes like I did the animal ones.  I am very thankful for what my parents passed on to me though and realize I do know more than just the average joe.  Wish I knew more though.

Guest snellma

Mom and dad were big bird fans also.  I have pictures of my dad in the winter time with the chickodees eating out of his hand.  They were all lined up his arm.

I think I should have been raised on a farm.

I wish I knew about birds. There is a bird in my yard that sounds like a phone ringing. I keep running in to answer it.

That's funny Lavender!

I wish I knew about birds. There is a bird in my yard that sounds like a phone ringing. I keep running in to answer it.

You may be hearing a Veery or another bird in the Thrush family.  If it sounds like it has a

Being fooled by a bird is only funny the first couple of times! The next time the phone "rings" I'll count the number of rings. If a Veery naturally sounds like a phone ringing I'll bet that is it. Where we live it is hard to believe that any bird has heard a phone ringing enough times to learn to imitate it.

Being fooled by a bird is only funny the first couple of times! The next time the phone "rings" I'll count the number of rings. If a Veery naturally sounds like a phone ringing I'll bet that is it. Where we live it is hard to believe that any bird has heard a phone ringing enough times to learn to imitate it.

Oops! It's me! Sorry but I was using a friends laptop and forgot to sign her account out and mine in. I'm in State College and the Nittany Lion Inn. Going to get some pics of the flower beds. There are some great color combinations. I didn't bring a camera but I've go the cell phone.