GoDuBois.com

Tulip Photograph

ps

Guest snellma

Those photographs are beautiful.  Can you teach me how to do that?  I am going to ask a dumb question, but remember, I am camera eliterate.  Is that a special lens that you have to put on the camera or is just a setting you have to turn on.

We have a very expensive digital camera and I hate it.  I just learned about the macro button (I am assuming that is what it is) for taking close-ups.  Guess I should get the book out and read more about it.

Snellma.... Believe it or not, everyone of those flower photographs was taken with a FujiFilm A303 3.2 mega pixel camera in macro mode.... That is about one step up from a "throw away digital camera".  I have won several photo contests, participate in arts shows, and have my work in a gallery of fine art.  I have only been photographing flowers around my house for about a year now.... And to be honest, I don't know "F" stop from "door stop", and I am NOT an artist....

In order to expand the scope of my work, I had to upgrade to a DSLR camera with a macro lens, flash, remote shutter release, and tripod.... In addition to learning about using the camera (extremely complicated), I also have to learn how to use the photo processing programs like PhotoShop CS2 and Elements 6.0 to name a few.... The irony of all this is that my photographs are displayed in a gallery of fine art, and now I have to spend all my spare time learning how to take pictures..... I hope that this helps you... Anything else, please let me know...

Paul

I could use some help too. When I put the digital camera in macro mode to do a flower close up it always tells  me I am too close. Half the time the pictures are fuzzy in that mode. I usually take them in the regular mode and then enlarge and crop them. I don't get what I want but at least they are focused.

Lavender... One of the biggest problems with taking close-up photos of flowers that are in focus is camera shake... If possible try to steady the camera by leaning on a tree or brace the camera by resting your elbows on the ground..

Other that that it is probably something with the camera... BTW, will I see you at DACC on Friday?

We have a very expensive digital camera and I hate it.  I just learned about the macro button (I am assuming that is what it is) for taking close-ups.  Guess I should get the book out and read more about it.

If your camera's book is anything like mine, the book doesn't help. Take out the pages of foreign languages and all that is left is goobly-gook. I've stumbled on features accidentily. I couldn't tell you if I have a macro mode. If I do, I haven't stumbled on that yet.

I agree... those instruction books are very difficult to understand.... My suggestion is to practice, practice, and practice...

It doesn't cost anything to take the pictures.... I am new to digital photography and I've learned a lot from several "photography forums" that I found on the Internet like:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

Good luck...