GoDuBois.com

Spring Flowers Are Rising

Guest Tracy96

Guest Tracy96

Yippie!  My tulips are up about 4 inches and daffs are about 2 inches.  They were coming up through the snow.....hee hee.  Yesterdays sun sure helped!  Can't wait until they bloom!!!!   I love the scent of spring flowers. 8)

I'm jealous! I'm still seeing snow. I was in Harrisburg for a few days this week and the spring bulbs are starting to poke their heads up there.

I know it is spring because I had seeds germinate in 3 days! The broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and a decorative amaranth were up before I even got the tomatoes in. Must get tomatoes planted before St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks for the pictures, they give us hope that Spring is just around the corner.

As I said earlier I was going to Florida - well I had a great time and the flowers are all in bloom as they probably are all the time.

I had a grapefruit right from the tree and it was delicious.

It was hard coming back to our weather. I had to laugh when the weatherman in FL said it was going to drop down to a cold 69. We should be so lucky.  ;D

Guest snellma

Planted 2 rows of green beans and 2 row of yellow (wax) beans yesterday.  No signs of peas or beets yet, but the onions are up about 1/2 inch.  Had a little rain over the weekend but are supposed to get some more the next 2 days.  Hopefully that will help.

Guest Tracy96

I think most of PA is jealous!!!  It's freezing here.  Had a low of 18 last night.  It's supposed to be nice (50's) on Wed.  Yes, it's pretty bad when it's called being nice out and it's only in the 50's...LOL  Your pics are very pretty.  I can't wait until it looks like that here....except the allergies that will come too...hee hee

Guest snellma

Ah yes - the allergies.  We have something down here called pine pollen.  You just can't believe it until you see it.  It is this yellowish-green powder that comes off the pine trees and lays on everything.  The wind was blowing the other day and when I looked up the street there was this greenish haze - it was really nasty.  I will try to remember to take some pictures of it and post them tonight.

I don't remember anything like that when I lived there.

We built in the spot where an old farmhouse stood. They had used white pines as windbreaks at the eastern side of the house and at the woodline on the western side. They are huge and very brittle. I know one is going to come down on the roof one of these days but taking them down would be tricky with the power lines. They already took out the porch railing during one storm. Branches are always coming down. Probably we notice the pollen so much because there are so many of them and we are in a valley.

We used to get a lot of the quacking aspen fuzz too but I don't see that much of it anymore.

So when is the growing season over in North Carolina? I have a friend who just got back from there and we were talking about it. She thinks it is all over by July.

Guest snellma

I'm in SC, but yes, that is about right.  It is way too hot and dry any later than that for anything much to grow.  But we can plant again in the fall because it stays warm long enough to have a second growing season.  Strawberries are in April, Blackberries, peaches, and corn are in June, and Blueberries are in very early July.  We didn't get any fruit last year because of the big freeze so hopefully this will be a good year for the berries.

I like the idea of a double growing season. The best I have ever done is a fall crop of cauliflower. It was much smaller but maybe that was because I stuck in plants that were left over from he spring planting.

It was a weird growing season here last summer, as well. We lost the apples and pears to a late frost and then we didn't have enough rain. I still have red cabbage and there are layers where the leaves are slimy. Most of it is still good but getting the mess out it not easy. I'm guessing that some leaves were dead when I stored it and those started to rot.