GoDuBois.com

Rhododendrons

lizzie

I have two azaleas blooming now. I think it is the strange weather we had this summer with the wild fluctuations in temperature. Confused everything. Rhodys should be pruned in the spring right after they bloom. Don't take them down to far or they might not bloom in the spring. These bushes look best with as little pruning as you can get away with.

If you do have to prune them, please don't prune them into ball shapes. Try to keep a natural shape to them by pruning the longest "arms" first to a length shorter than the short ones. Rhodos have a lovely shape naturally and those, like the forsythias, should never be pruned with hedge clippers.

The little bundle of leaves at the tip of each branch is next year's flowers.  If you cut them all off, you will have no blooms next spring.  However, you could do as the last poster recommended and only cut off the longest branches, leaving the leaf bundles on the shorter ones to bloom.  You willl only have half as many flowers, but you will also have a smaller bush.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tracy96

My mother in law had a problem with deer eating her Rhododendron bushes so she placed pieces of left over used bar soap around them.  This has been working for years now.  Just wanted to share this tip w/everyone!

Guest Tracy96

I think she uses Dove.  I use Irish Spring.  I don't think it matters but the stronger scented is probably better I would think.  I also heard you could use human hair clippings but don't know if it works.  We just save our soap when it gets really small instead of throwing it away.  It sure beats buying expensive products that may or may not work! :)

Guest Tracy96

Haaaaa Lavender!  That was funny!  And to Snellma ...as soon as I decide to wade through the snow I'm gonna check my daffodils.  Thanks b/c I would of never thought they'd be up yet.

I don't want to see daffodils until April! They had buds on them in the middle of winter last year. I'm pretty sure not much in that patch bloomed later. I should have picked them and brought them in.

Lucky, Snellma! I don't think that spring is just around the corner in DuBois.

Guest Tracy96

Oh Snellma, Silly me...I forgot you're from SC.  Good thing I didn't get the snow shovel out to take a look yet....LMAO  There's probably about 4 inches of snow to dig through!

Guest snellma

Tracy - yours might be hiding under all that snow but I think it may be a little while yet.  Me, on the other hand, has to start thinking about getting the garden tilled.  Cold weather veggies have to go in the ground about mid Feb. down here.

Guest snellma

Just so I don't see Phil in my garden he is OK. Miserable rodents eat everything!

Get one of those trail cams so you can catch whomever in action.

Tracy, thanks for the tip on the soap. I'll give it a try this year. I'm wondering if it'll work around my hostas?

Weird, I've had my hostas for probably 10 years now. They were planted on just one side of my house and the deer never touched them. Over the last two years we've been working on landscaping. We dug up the hostas and replanted them along the front of our house along with some other plants. Now, the deer are eating them to the ground! They also chomped down my Russian Sage. Little buggers!

Tracy, thanks for the tip on the soap. I'll give it a try this year. I'm wondering if it'll work around my hostas?

Weird, I've had my hostas for probably 10 years now. They were planted on just one side of my house and the deer never touched them. Over the last two years we've been working on landscaping. We dug up the hostas and replanted them along the front of our house along with some other plants. Now, the deer are eating them to the ground! They also chomped down my Russian Sage. Little buggers!

If it keeps your deer away from other things it will keep them away from the hostas as well but deer do love hostas. They cleaned mine up every year just as they were flowering until I moved them closer to the house. They still eat the ones in front that are under an apple tree but so far they haven't found the ones to the side or the ones at the back. The back ones will probably be toast next year as we have a deer right up under the back window this winter. Too bad, they are my exotic ones. I ordered a new black one and a blue one last year from a co-op when we redid the Reitz. They were allegedly less expensive. Huh! Sum and Substance grows there too. It is my favorite and huge.

Snellma, do hostas grow in South Caroline? We have relatives that say they won't grow in Texas.

If it keeps your deer away from other things it will keep them away from the hostas as well but deer do love hostas. They cleaned mine up every year just as they were flowering until I moved them closer to the house. They still eat the ones in front that are under an apple tree but so far they haven't found the ones to the side or the ones at the back. The back ones will probably be toast next year as we have a deer right up under the back window this winter. Too bad, they are my exotic ones. I ordered a new black one and a blue one last year from a co-op when we redid the Reitz. They were allegedly less expensive. Huh! Sum and Substance grows there too. It is my favorite and huge.

Snellma, do hostas grow in South Caroline? We have relatives that say they won't grow in Texas.

Well, I'm definitely going to give soap a try and cross my fingers that it works. If not, I'll look into the sprinkler.