GoDuBois.com

Petee Check out my Canna Lilly

block

Remember how small this was when I bought it at the garden club sale?  She's ready to bloom, I can't wait to see the flower.  The smaller one to the right was only 4 inches tall when I planted it, it's doing well also.  

canna_6488.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are supposed to come back, but I need to find out what to do with it for the winter.  Some say bring it in, others say mulch it and it will be fine.  Help or knowledge on that one would be appreciated.  And yes I'll the post the pics when she blooms.

Don't trust mulching it or my guess is that you will be looking for another one next year!

Just dig it up when the frost damages the foliage this fall.  If you don't want to keep it over the winter, I will be happy to keep it and give you back a growing plant in the spring.  Then we can sell the extra bulbs! :-)

Otherwise, just treat it like a Dahlia.

It sure is a beauty!

I wouldn't leave it out. Generally they are only hardy to zone 7.

We dig them up after the frost gets the tops. Cut off the tops and put them, dirt and all, in a big plastic bag. Leave the bag open and store at about 55 degrees. You shouldn't have to do anything to them but if they seem to be shriveling, sprinkle with some water.

You will have more than you know what to do with in a couple of years.

Impressive!!! I want one

Yes it is. Guess I will have to buy some next year now that I know that they will grow here. I can see hubby rolling his eyes already. Always telling me I have tooo many plants now,,,hehehe

Paying a fortune for an extraordinary plant can make you money!  Just let it grow for a couple of seasons, making sure to divide and multiply them, and you'll br surprised at howq many you willl have for new owners.

I have a Hawaiian Firecracker that I paid $6 for at te Pittsburgh Lawn and Garden Show about 3 years ago.  It was just a dry bulb in a bag then, but in my front window, you will see 6 in a huge pot, all ready to bloom and they are fantastic.  Next summer, I will have them in separate pots for a fee for the Garden Club.

Sorry about my typing.  I still can't see quite right yet.

I went there as well and got some rose bushes, rhododendrons, mums, pincushions and a white hydrangea that has a pointy type flower that has a slight blush to it. I hope it grows. i'm very curious to see what it will look like with some food and pruning next year.

Now I want to go back over and buy more plants. I got one of those baby cannas earlier in the season for the middle of a pot ($5.98). I never did get to see it bloom but I was told it was a beautiful flower. I put it in the ground so there will be more next year.

I love the carpet roses, you can't go wrong with them. They bloom all summer. Also got a Knock-out rose over there for a dollar. They are carefree roses, too.

The $10 pot was a steal!