GoDuBois.com

pepper plants

Pappy

I dug up some of my pepper plants before the frost and brought them inside. I am hoping they make it so I can replant them. I just wanted to see how well they would do during the winter and if they would proivide peppers during this time or even after I replanted them. Guess I was bored that day.  My super chiles still have peppers on them and I have some bell peppers that are starting to get bigger.

Has anyone else ever tried this and what were your results?

Peppers are perennials and theoretically it should work. I've grown ornamental peppers inside with fair results. It is difficult to get them enough sun during the winter. If you do bring them through the winter harden them off gradually before you put them in the ground. You should have super early peppers. 

The key would be enough of the correct light, a cooler temperature since they have already fruited and are temporarily going to rest for the winter, enough humidity to keep they from drying out and sufficient soil to support the roots while not letting enough water accumulate around them to allow root rot.

Great experiment!!  Get some really good grow lights and put it right down about an inch from the tips of the plant.  Then run them for about 18 hours a day.  You can put a table in the basement with a remote thermometer and a hygrometer to get the moisture and temperature right.  You can also get a light meter to measure that depending on how much you want to invest into the experiment.  If your basement is too cold then you can tape some plastic like a tent around the lights to raise it a bit.

I'll bet you can't kill it! Mint will be here with the cockroaches when the rest of us are gone. I brought the rosemary in. Usually, it is too hot inside for it but this was growing in a pot and not bought recently. Got basil going too. It is doing better than I thought it would. Both are in the greenhouse. 

I can grow most anything outside, inside..whole other story!! I have 4 citranilla, 6 chocolate mint starts, 10 Russian sage, 3 amarillis (sp), 1 lg peace lilly, and 2 other plants I cant think of the names right now.

they are all in the upstairs windows for now.

An older guy I used to work with told me he always brought his pepper plants inside for winter and replanted them in the spring. But never explained how to do it. He passed away quite a few years ago so I can't ask him. Good luck with yours. I know it can be done but exactly how I cannot say.