GoDuBois.com

Milkweed Seeds

Petee

Could you post a picture of a milkweed plant and the pods. I can look for some if I knew what they looked like. Also where do you buy milkweed plants? I would like to grow some in Rumbarger Cemetery and get butterflies up there. We have 8 acres, so they would do well. Thanks, Melanie

Please contact the city Code Enforcement Officer before planting milkweed in the city limits. Someone was fined recently. Check your pm's. I've emailed you specifics.

The city does not specifically forbid the growing of milkweed but if it isn't controlled it is considered a weed and they are the final arbitrators on whether how you are growing it is within their specifications.

Could you post a picture of a milkweed plant and the pods. I can look for some if I knew what they looked like. Also where do you buy milkweed plants? I would like to grow some in Rumbarger Cemetery and get butterflies up there. We have 8 acres, so they would do well. Thanks, Melanie

You can find common milkweed along train tracks, unmowed roadsides and in farm fields.  It is a native wildflower but some people just don't get the importance of it.  

Why anyone would fine someone for it, but not for ragweed is a mystery to me.  Yes, Ragweed is a terrible allergen, but milkweed is not, and neither is Goldenrod.   Because they "bloom" at the same time people think the culprit is Goldenrod.  Milkweed is amazingly scented when it is in bloom, and if the city wants to be nasty, then they should fine themselves as they have it in the city park at the end of the Boulevard in the middle of the ground cover.  I saw summer workers pulling it all out over a month ago but it's back and should be left there till after the Monarch migration is done in late October.  Then they would do well to remove it for the health of the 2017 Monarchs.

Yes, I know a gentleman on the Eastside who was fined for having it in a marked and bordered Butterfly bed.  Just grow the other varieties and no one will even blink an eye.  The BUDS Gardeners have several varieties of it at the Plant Donation Sale in May.  

This is Swamp MIlkweed.  What could possibly be more beautiful?

11713774_10206285425168988_9132305925112170327_o.jpg

All kinds of milkweed should be cut to the ground in the fall after the first frost.  It can harbor diseases that can harm the Monarchs the following year.

Thank you for answering the question I had in my head .. lol!!