GoDuBois.com

The "New" Rumbarger Cemetery.

Rumbarger Cemetery

Thinking about them All this time of year...but for those of you who truly know me...I'm just being me...May they never be forgotten...

Dear Ancestor

"Your tombstone stands among the rest

Neglected and alone

The name and date are chiseled out

On polished marble stone

It reaches out to all who care

It is too late to mourn

You did not know that I exist

You died and I was born

Yet each of us are cells of you

In flesh and blood and bone

Our blood contracts and beats a pulse

Entirely not our own

Dear Ancestor, the place you filled

One hundred years ago

Spreads out among the ones you left

Who would have loved you so

I wonder how you lived and loved

I wonder if you knew

That someday I would find this spot

And come to visit you."

-Walter Butler Amanda Palmer?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to DuBois City Manager Herm Suplizio and DuBois City Councilman Randy Schmidt for

attending and helping at the Wreaths Across America ceremony held at Rumbarger Cemetery

Saturday December 14, 2013. Pictured are Herm and Randy helping at the ceremony. Over

100 forgotten veterans had a wreath placed at their graves to honor their service to our country.

20131214_122037.jpg

U.S. Marine Private James J. Patterson was the first person from the DuBois area to be killed in action

in World War 1 on June 6,1918 at Belleau Woods, France. The local James J Patterson VFW Post 813

in DuBois is named in his honor. James was a native of Helvetia and spent most of his life in DuBois

before enlisting in the Marines when he was 23 years old. James was only 24 years old when he was

killed in battle. Pictured are members of the DuBois Honor Guard placing a wreath at his grave to honor his service.

20131214_121235.jpg

U.S. Marine Private James J. Patterson was the first person from the DuBois area to be killed in action

in World War 1 on June 6,1918 at Belleau Woods, France. The local James J Patterson VFW Post 813

in DuBois is named in his honor. James was a native of Helvetia and spent most of his life in DuBois

before enlisting in the Marines when he was 23 years old. James was only 24 years old when he was

killed in battle. Pictured are members of the DuBois Honor Guard placing a wreath at his grave to honor his service.

My congratulations to the RCPS for continuning this fine tradition. If I may point out however, the Honor Guard in this picture is in fact the James J. Patterson V.F.W. Post 813 Honor Guard and not the DuBois ( Area ) Honor Guard. Thanks again !

• 4 months later...

Cleanup efforts continue at DuBois cemetery

Clearfield-County_2349.jpgUpdated: Monday, April 21 2014, 08:55 PM EDT

Reported By: Deven Clarke
Written By: Marc Stempka

DUBOIS, Pa. -- A Clearfield County cemetery got some additional attention from local volunteers who spent their day cleaning up one of the area's oldest cemeteries instead of handling packages.

The Rumbarger Cemetery is the oldest burial ground in DuBois and time has certainly taken its toll on the property. In an effort to restore and cleanup some of the property, volunteers with FedEx Ground spent their Monday working to clean up the property.

FedEx Ground Senior Manager Jeff Butterworth said employees worked to clean up debris, weed and seed grass and straighten up headstones and walls that had fallen over during the past few years.

Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society President Carol Laughlin said having the extra help from volunteers is a big help.

"They're very enthusiastic and willing to do everything," Laughlin said. "We have to think up things for them to do. They're very good."

Butterworth said the volunteer effort in DuBois is part of a larger FedEx event, Ground Green Week, where employees help with restoration projects in the communities where they live.

"It's all volunteer work [at the cemetery], and it's a lot on them," Butterworth said. "We figured we could give them the day off, get up here, it's a historic site in DuBois, and just be part of it."

Laughlin said any help is always appreciated.

"There are a lot of important people here and I'm sure at one time it was absolutely a beautiful place and it

• 3 weeks later...

The DuBois FedEx employees and James Burkholder from Yardworks came to Rumbarger Cemetery on April 21, 2014 to work in celebration of Earth Day. This is the second year in a row that they have helped at the cemetery.

Pictured from left to right: Justin Reig, Brenda Saunders, Ryan Morrison, Lynnette Aljoe, Andy Daugherty, Greg Weible, Jeff Butterworth, James Burkholder of YardWorks, Seth Ferut and Justin Marchiori. Thank you for a job well done. We appreciate your community spirit!

IMG_5706507383432.jpeg

Community clean up day was held May 3, 2014 in the City of DuBois. An energetic group of people from the Temple Baptist Church in DuBois showed up to help board members Carol Laughlin, Tony Harris, Barb Kopshina, Dena Senior and Melanie McGinnis maintain the cemetery. The group from the church really dug in and helped clean up the cemetery. They dug up old bushes, they picked up trash, they filled in the many holes through out the eight acres, they swept the sidewalks and really pitched in to help out. Thank you to Pastor Kevin Orndorff and members of the Temple Baptist Church, your work ethic inspired us all! 

IMG_5729951361768.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  An American Hero
 In Memory of James J Patterson,  United States Marines
9488889_orig.jpg

Included among Rumbarger Cemetery's honored dead is Marine Private
James J. Patterson
the first soldier from the DuBois area killed in action in WW I

The DuBois Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 813 is named in his honor
God Bless All Our Veterans, Living and Dead
936305.jpg?272

Private James J Patterson was a native of Helvetia, a son of Mr. and Mrs. William Patterson. 
He spent most of his life in the city of DuBois and enlisted in the Marines on July 28, 1917 at age 23. 
A member of a machine gun company, he was killed in action in Belleau Woods (France) on June 6, 1918. 
At the time of his death he was 24 years of age.

THE  SOLDIERS  CIRCLE
What we call today the Soldiers" Circle was erected in 1927 and dedicated as the
"Grand Army of the Republic Circle"
on Memorial Day, May 30, 1928.   It was in honor of the soldiers of Easton Post 229 and those from Clearfield County who fought over six decades earlier for the Union North in the American Civil War, 1861

post-4785-0-79891700-1376227071.jpg

On Earth Day this year the good people from Fed Ex volunteered their day to helping us out with our many ongoing restoration projects. They put our crumbling stone wall back together again. What this group of community minded employees gets accomplished in one day of volunteering at Rumbarger is amazing!

20140703_192334.jpg