GoDuBois.com

Old Dubois Mansion Pics Anyone?

Guest Tracy96

Thanks for posting these pics. I love to see pics of things that are no longer around.    Speaking of mansions, does anyone have any old pictures of the mansion that was out in Sandy Twp.  at the WigWam.  Never saw it but hear stories of it.  

Where was the "Wig Wam"  ??

the wigwam was up behind kwik-fill in sandy, major McCreight lived there he was a very well known banker back in the old days with the deposit bank he had indians up there a lot famous ones like I believe sitting bull, the road behind kwik fill is called wigwam so it was up on top of there on the hill would love to see some pics of it.

Apparently the Wigwam is now owned by people who do not want the publicity.  Sad because it's really an interesting building, not grand but unique.

I know there was a lot of frustration when the DuBois Mansion was destroyed but maybe it will serve as a lesson for tomorrow.  Unfortunately, now that's all it will ever be.

Holy cow!  I never even heard of it.  When did they tear it down?  Does anyone have any pics of what it looked like at the time of destruction?  It couldn't be any worse than some of the places that they do nothing about.

The committee appointed to oversee it said it had rot so bad that it couldn't be fixed.  This was after a new roof had been installed.  I can't imagine that it couldn't have been saved but it would have taken money.

No it's not a teepee, it's a house with a lot of sunporches and a great view from all sides when the trees were smaller.  My husband did repair work for the previous owners and it is more a matter of history and a unique style than grandeur that make it special.

The Mansion was beautiful! Inside was just incredible, all the hard wood,huge stair cases( well they were huge to me and so were the window sills where I would sit some times when I got to go to work with my Aunt,who was very sad to see the building's demise)My parents were involved in the "Town and Gown" plays that were held in the auditorium.

The "Wig Waum" got it's name because Mr.Mc Creight brought a lot of Native American Chiefs to his house, he was also made an honorary Chief.

• 6 months later...

I didn't realize there was once a stair case leading up to the statue on the hill. I couldn't picture the mansion where PSU is currently until that photo.

Sorry PSU, but I'd much rather see the mansion and the beautiful garden still there! It's just proof that this town can't have anything nice  :-/

I wish i would have been able to see it in person. I still  think that PSU should of left if alone and built else where.. Just thinking abouty how beatiful it would of been brings tears to my eyes thinking they just razed it .

It was still there when I was going to the campus in the seventies.  in fact, we had the student government and newspaper office in the mansion.  It was pretty beat up and would've taken a lot of $$ to bring it up to code.

The big problem was that they couldn't get it on any landmark lists to tap into funds.  Nobody outside of DuBois was that interested in the historical angle, and the building was not a real example of the architectural style.  It was fake tudor, so nobody bit on that basis either.  

Having attended the DuBois Campus in the early 70's, I was fortunate to have been through the mansion many, many times.  Tis a real shame that it was not saved.  I remember the justifications given at the time of the demolition, but most were hollow, with the need of preservation superceded by the want of the land for classrooms.

Not to change the subject, but where exactly is the "Wigwam"?