GoDuBois.com

Bird houses and feeders

dyna99

We have about 7 bird houses at the present time....was wondering how often they should be cleaned out?

We haven't had any birds stay in them for the wintertime, that we know of, altho I saw a bird I hadn't seen before, go into one house a couple times the other day...

I just cleaned out my bird feeders and filled them for the 1st time this fall....didn't see any birds hit at them today tho....I love to see the cardinals in the yard...

Moved the feeders this year because the area we have had them in for the past few years became feeding grounds for moles that made the ground real spongy...

Anyone else fill their feeders yet?

Wish I could get the blue birds into the back yard....I think cardinals and blue birds are the best...besides hummingbirds in the summertime!!

I leave the birdhouses out all year long.  Just pull out the old nesting material once the babies leave.  It can harbor pests and diseases.  We have a shelter box for birds that need to get in out of the weather.  It gets used.

Bird feeders don't really need filled till the snow is on the ground but if you fill them sooner then more birds will find them.  Just clean them with a 90% water-10%  chlorine solution and rinse well in clear water once in a while to sanitize it.

Bluebirds are a whole other ball of wax! http://www.sialis.org/attracting.htm

Yea...I have been reading up on Bluebirds for a while now...hoping to try something that will entice them into my yard...but I think living in town is my biggest problem!! Maybe someday I will be able to actually get a couple in my yard...:)

I haven't put food in my feeds since the bear destroyed one of the feeders. Since I'm off work for the time being, I will be putting food out. I will be keeping an eye on them, cause I heard that mr bear is still around. Also the elk will knock the feeders down to get to the seed. So, maybe I should bring them in at night ... when I decide to fill them.

I like watching the hummingbirds, cardinals, chickadee's, nuthatches and woodpeckers.

Bring them in at night is always a good idea because only varmints are going to be after them after dark. Once they find it they will haunt the area till they can get it again.

Bluebirds require lots of open field type area. It would be extremely rare to find them in town. They don't even want to live close together.

Bring them in at night is always a good idea because only varmints are going to be after them after dark. Once they find it they will haunt the area till they can get it again.

Bluebirds require lots of open field type area. It would be extremely rare to find them in town. They don't even want to live close together.

Yea...that's what I read online....so hopefully if we ever get out of this stinkin' town, I will be able to lure bluebirds in!!

I hate squirrels!!! They are the big,bird house ruining,climbing,sickos!! They run around & burry nuts,they can't remember where they burried them,so they'll hang upside down to get a nugget of bird food from an anti-squirrel feeded! Trust me! I am an animal lover, but these beasts donot have my pity!! :pound: